• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy A Bigger Saw Western Washington

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To tell the truth a pushed a big ass log off the pile and it rolled a bit further than I thought. Rolled over my 550 lol and now I need to replace the rear handle gas tank assembly.

Cedar is pretty soft, a 550XP with a 20"B&C should handle Cedar up to 30-32" wont be the fastest cutting ever, but should be fine for the Limited amount that you need to do.

OF COURSE, We are all going to Spend YOUR Money, and tell you that nothing less than a 395XP with a 36" B&C will do;)

A second saw is always nice to have, and with the 550XP, either the offered 288XP or if looking for New a 372XP would each be a Good choice with either 24 or 28" Bars.

If Nothing Else, get another Bar with matching chains to fit the 550XP, so if you, Er, Uhm WHEN you pinch a bar, you can at least remove the powerhead, mount up the second bar and "Rescue" cut out the stuck B&C.

A nice Little Top Handle saw would also get more use than you would expect.

A Top Handle, the 550XP you already have and a 70-90cc, with 24-28" B&C would make a Great 3 saw plan for someone that owns much wooded property,

If there is anything else that you need help spending your money on, I am Happy to Help;):):):)

Doug :cheers:

Oh BTW, I think that we discussed it before, but don't skimp on PPE, a Good helmet, with Visor and ear muffs, Gloves and some Chaps are a Great Idea, and money Well Spent.

A Peavey will help rolling those logs, and get some PLASTIC Wedges, those can help a lot with a lightly pinched bar, as well as for helping control felling direction.

and BE DAMN CAREFUL, working a pile like that.

Doug :cheers:

But if looking I have a few minty 60-80cc saws I would consider letting go. Some stock some ported. I wouldn't think twice hitting that pile with the 550 though but a 2 saw plan is always nice. Or even a 10 saw plan :D

I went with Andy's 288 co and this thing is fast! What took a few hours with my 550 only took about 30 mins with th 288. I thought I needed a bigger bar and therefore a bigger saw. Nope the 20" bar is perfect

Thanks Doug, I have all the PPE.. actually really good ppe and had one of those Peavy bars that you can roll a log with and then it Jack's up the log but unfortunately it is missing from my wood pile.

Back