a bit frustrated and need some advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grande Dog said:
From what you're describing, I would think it's the clutch side crank seal. Your're talking a $6.00 part that a shop could install in about 15 minutes.

And to work with a complete Professional ,,,, pricless!

At $100 dollars an hour, that would be about a $31 dollar bill (+ TS time and shop expence) and a "real" worn or bad part taged and bagged stapled to the invoice!

Not $55 dollars and it's sort of sounds better.

That is the bottom line to Box Stores or "iffy" Dealers!

Kevin

This isn't advice about your particular Dolmar issue, just a general comment about support.

Within reason, it doesn't matter what you pay for the saw. It matters that you have a good dealer that can back it up.

Find a good dealer. There might be some pain along the way as you discover who's good and who's not.

Once you have found a good dealer, pay him what he asks. Seriously - would it be worse to pay a few extra bucks or not to have access to his expertise?

If he goes out of business, then you'll be back to dealing with idiots!

arborman said:
its not the low speed ajustment.. i thought that was what it was too.. but its not cuz there is no way to tune the problem out of it.. i dont really know if they pressure tested it.. the saw is a year and a half old..ive had it since new and it really hasent had that much use, i would say right around 100tanks thorough it .. its acted like this since it was new however it was just recently it started to quit when you tip it straight up again.. if you dip the saw forward there is no change in the idle speed.. if you turn it right it has a deep sound like its running to rich .. and if you turn it left.. it gets a higher idle and sounds like its running to lean.. then if you turn it to the right.. and straighten it out to quick it dies .. which i geuss it does not anymore.. however from what he said it still changes idle speeds when you turn it from right to straight and from straight to left. also sometimes it just dies at random while idleing even when its straight up and down. when i talk to them i will try to get them to call you scott.. i wish you guys on here were local dealers because we could sure use some like you around this area. There is one about an hour from here i could take it too to who knows his stuff.. and that may be what ill end up doing if the shop where i bought . the saw cant figure it out. just so i know should the idle speed on this saw change at all when you turn it on its right side then to center then to left? my 7900 is the only one that ive ever ran . if it is the crank seals is that something i could do myself with a little coaching ? being winter and all i really dont have the money for any kind of expensive repair bills .. so if its something i could do myself with out a major chance of screwing up doing it, i may just do that . first i have to get the leakdown test done though to see if it is the crank seals . ive kept up on all the maintanence on the saw.. cleaned the air filter regularly, checked to make sure spark arrester screen is not plugging , ran husky xp oil for the break in and then mobile mx2t at 40 to one for the rest of the time. saws always ran fine accept for the wierd idle which i dont actually remember if it did since new , it was either that or just shortly after the first few tanks through it . I know i should of taken it in sooner but i figured it would work itself out of it , or that it was just a finaky low speed adjustment or something that i couldent quite get right.. but now ive figured out that is not the case.. either way it could be a lesson learned.. i should of taken it in and had it looked at right away while under the full warrenty . rather then thinking it was something that would work itself out. i still like the saw thought either way. Dont at this point yet know if i would buy another , and if i did i would buy it from a dealer who deals more with chainsaws then the dealer that i got it from. Thanks for all of your help!.
would you post an update on your saw problem? i'm sure there's other's that are also interested in what's happening. Brian.

pay the money get the saw

Pay the man,
I say pay him because he says it is fixed, if it turns out to not be fixed when you pick it up he will fix it and I wouldn't pay another penny. If he balks then contact dolmar and take and contact the BBB. You shouldn't have to be a saw mechanic to not get cheated by your saw mechanic.
If he fixed it, 55 bucks to have your saw right is not that bad.

buck

Latest posts

Back