A chainsaw blooper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a friend who was building a retaining wall using railroad ties. He went out and bought a new Stihl ms 290 to trim the railroad ties. He then proceeds to start up his new saw. After the start up he tries a cut Blurrr- blurrr-blurr the saw chain doesnt turn. He brings the saw in and removes the chain and reinstalls it. My other friend an I ask him if he took the chain brake off for his first cut and he says no. So he gets it to turn and it does not cut. When installing the chain he put it on backwards. I think he is dangerous with a saw and should not have one. What do you ladies and gentlemen think?

My Dad gave me a new saw a few years ago. I took it out of the case and started it up, and could not figure why the darned chain was locked up. DOH, first saw I ever had with a chain break, Joe.

I have put a chain on backwards before!:censored:

THERE I SAID IT! Now I feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

We all learn in one way or the other! JUST TRY TO AVOID THE ER!

I have put a chain on backwards before!:censored:

THERE I SAID IT! Now I feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

We all learn in one way or the other! JUST TRY TO AVOID THE ER!

Um.. me too.. :)

**** happens.. I wasn't paying attention. But, BOY DID I KNOW IT WAS ON WRONG WHEN I WENT TO CUT WITH IT! I don't understand how some people actually try and cut like that without checking to see if something is wrong! (Based on stories from other AS members).

even I did it once, wasn't paying attn.

turned it around right quick and have not done it since.

I won't admit it! I have found that w/ it on one way it cuts better than the other way.
Help a friend out, spend 30 min. w/ the guy and save him from himself. We all need to learn sometime.

I think If I was a chainsaw dealer I would have a 10 point check list to cover with a new customer. I bet that would save lives. Or at the least it would keep me from making unnecessary repairs. I would also build a good reputation for going the extra mile.

390's are tough like Playschool toys and Kong Dog bones.

It's the perfect saw for him.

Keep an eye on him, and when he flounders a bit, sneak a "My stupid saw did that once and I had ta..." in there. At least untill he's past needing training wheels.

We are all ignorant untill shown the ropes, or the second trip to the ER.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back