A confession

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran into a neighbor up the road the other day. I was driving by and saw my old dump that I started my biz with. Pulled over to talk to him a little and here I find out he's starting a tree biz go figure. Talking to these smucks I realize I have absolutly nothing to worry about. I can see by their work and the way they talk that they know very little about trees and selling jobs which brings me to my point, if im gonna worry about every smuck or crackhead stealling my biz then I better be reevaluating my own biz and how I do things. ####ty work brings ####ty custys so who the hell cares just go out and be better then them. This talk about turning people in is pretty crappy, don't stoop to that level just do a better job.

The funny thing is i'm going to do a job directly across the street from this guys house this morning for one of my good customers so that should ruffle their feathers a bit. I know these guys could never touch a customer like mine so that in itself brings pride.

I ran into a neighbor up the road the other day. I was driving by and saw my old dump that I started my biz with. Pulled over to talk to him a little and here I find out he's starting a tree biz go figure. Talking to these smucks I realize I have absolutly nothing to worry about. I can see by their work and the way they talk that they know very little about trees and selling jobs which brings me to my point, if im gonna worry about every smuck or crackhead stealling my biz then I better be reevaluating my own biz and how I do things. ####ty work brings ####ty custys so who the hell cares just go out and be better then them. This talk about turning people in is pretty crappy, don't stoop to that level just do a better job.

The funny thing is i'm going to do a job directly across the street from this guys house this morning for one of my good customers so that should ruffle their feathers a bit. I know these guys could never touch a customer like mine so that in itself brings pride.

Only problem with your neighbor is he will prob Do work for 1/2 what it should be and well we know how this effects everyone else.

I made a reputation by not arguing with people who worked for less, or the customers who hired them.
I just left the potential customer with 2 business cards, and told them to feel free to rip one up and throw it in my face for being an arrogant SOB. The other one they should save for when they came to the realization the other contractor fully understood his ability and knew what his work was worth a lot better than they or I did.

Got a hell of a lot of customers that way, and they stayed with me over the years.

You can't outsell a lowballer.

This latest piece of crap... I had bid the same job he did, he got it... that's fine, can't win them all. I bid 17,500, he bid 18,500. I was working with a 70 ton crane up the road. I had bid the job using the 70 for 2 days, the guy who got it didn't expect to be able to use a crane. I was using the crane for my own work when the scum came up to me... "oh, do you think you could send the operator over to check out my job... maybe we could use him after you're done?" I said that I would send the operator over... I believe they charge me almost $300 per hour for the crane, and I know their policy is first come first serve. So I said no problem, he can go over when he gets a chance. Figured I'd be a nice guy, help this person out... professional courtesy and all. He even asked if he could use one of my chip dump spots because he is out of his area. Operator goes to check the job out at some point, let's say I lost a half an hour to that. Scum is able to jump the list because of this. I know had I not allowed it, he would have been told to wait. Operator says he doesn't have enough cribbing to facilitate a set-up for the crane... company charges almost $700 to bring cribbing out, but I have a trailer FULL of it right up the road. Scum agrees to pay me "a couple hundred bucks for use of the cribbing.. we'll pick it up and bring it back to you." Scum does the job, uses my cribbing... doesn't tip the operator. Scum brags to a friend who stopped by about how he knows this one and that one, and how he only got the job because he agreed to commit insurance fraud... was gonna kick back a couple G's to the homeowner for the deductable. Scum asks my friend if he can dump the wood at my yard, because his yard is a lot farther away than my place. My buddy said it shouldn't be a problem... lots of wood back there anyways. Scum gives my buddy some money to give to me, and I meet my buddy and the truck full of wood back at my yard. The truck was full of only the big nasty stuff, they had hauled all the nice stuff back to their yard to split themselves, leaving me with the big, bust your ass stuff. The scum gave my friend $150. I yelled at the driver of the truck to get lost IMMEDIATELY, and not to dump anything at my yard ever.

Granted I tend to hold a grudge for a long time. One day I am working for a client, and just happen to be out by the road when the scum drives by. He stops in the road and acts as though he is my friend. So a couple of weeks ago I finally decided to send him a bill... allow him to make good on the debt before I take any action. He calls me back saying that he feels I did pretty well, $150 for rental of the cribbing... I said that our agreement was for "a couple hundred, not $150." I told him that he cost me money for down time on the crane, and that the company would have charged him a lot more than I was asking for... he said that he would have brought his own cribbing... I responded that he had that option, but instead elected to rent mine.

I've grown tired of being treated like this over the years... and I'm not going to take it anymore. I know that this guy is not licensed, which means a fine if somebody such as myself should turn him in. Payback if you will. I understand that nice guys finish last and all that, but it sucks that our society has become one where you can't help anybody because odds are you will just get screwed in the end... and I sure like being able to help people... it's how I was raised, to help others if so possible.

This latest piece of crap... I had bid the same job he did, he got it... that's fine, can't win them all. I bid 17,500, he bid 18,500. I was working with a 70 ton crane up the road. I had bid the job using the 70 for 2 days, the guy who got it didn't expect to be able to use a crane. I was using the crane for my own work when the scum came up to me... "oh, do you think you could send the operator over to check out my job... maybe we could use him after you're done?" I said that I would send the operator over... I believe they charge me almost $300 per hour for the crane, and I know their policy is first come first serve. So I said no problem, he can go over when he gets a chance. Figured I'd be a nice guy, help this person out... professional courtesy and all. He even asked if he could use one of my chip dump spots because he is out of his area. Operator goes to check the job out at some point, let's say I lost a half an hour to that. Scum is able to jump the list because of this. I know had I not allowed it, he would have been told to wait. Operator says he doesn't have enough cribbing to facilitate a set-up for the crane... company charges almost $700 to bring cribbing out, but I have a trailer FULL of it right up the road. Scum agrees to pay me "a couple hundred bucks for use of the cribbing.. we'll pick it up and bring it back to you." Scum does the job, uses my cribbing... doesn't tip the operator. Scum brags to a friend who stopped by about how he knows this one and that one, and how he only got the job because he agreed to commit insurance fraud... was gonna kick back a couple G's to the homeowner for the deductable. Scum asks my friend if he can dump the wood at my yard, because his yard is a lot farther away than my place. My buddy said it shouldn't be a problem... lots of wood back there anyways. Scum gives my buddy some money to give to me, and I meet my buddy and the truck full of wood back at my yard. The truck was full of only the big nasty stuff, they had hauled all the nice stuff back to their yard to split themselves, leaving me with the big, bust your ass stuff. The scum gave my friend $150. I yelled at the driver of the truck to get lost IMMEDIATELY, and not to dump anything at my yard ever.

Granted I tend to hold a grudge for a long time. One day I am working for a client, and just happen to be out by the road when the scum drives by. He stops in the road and acts as though he is my friend. So a couple of weeks ago I finally decided to send him a bill... allow him to make good on the debt before I take any action. He calls me back saying that he feels I did pretty well, $150 for rental of the cribbing... I said that our agreement was for "a couple hundred, not $150." I told him that he cost me money for down time on the crane, and that the company would have charged him a lot more than I was asking for... he said that he would have brought his own cribbing... I responded that he had that option, but instead elected to rent mine.

I've grown tired of being treated like this over the years... and I'm not going to take it anymore. I know that this guy is not licensed, which means a fine if somebody such as myself should turn him in. Payback if you will. I understand that nice guys finish last and all that, but it sucks that our society has become one where you can't help anybody because odds are you will just get screwed in the end... and I sure like being able to help people... it's how I was raised, to help others if so possible.

I can sum most of th issues listed by you with this quote.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

It doesn't make what they do and how they act acceptable, but it does show that if you allow it to happen, you have no one to blame but yourself. In all these instances, it seems as if you went against your better judgement, or instinct and got burned one way or another. I think that perhaps you may want to start keeping things "in house" from now on. Unless of course, there is a real emergency.

You and your business are what you make of it. I don't think its far fetched to say that we have all been screwed by someone who we considered a "friend" at some point. But how we deal with it next time around is the real issue. I would say it is not "wrong" to blow in some cutthroats because the harsh reality is that our profession is becoming less of a profession. I wish New York had arborist laws and certifications. This does minimize the idiots out there, but we all also know you will never get rid of these guys. The economy sucks right now, and a lot of guys who work for the bigger companies are sub-ing out to landscapers and such to under bid us. They probably don't have their own insurance and walk away with cash at the end of the day. The landscaper's policy doesn't cover the sub nor does it cover tree work and he walks away with some cash and now add's a new sales point in his arsenal. All I have to say is what my parents always said, be better than them. Let the lowballers do there thing because fate will meet them right on the arse some day and they will pay for it. Maybe blowing them in speeds it up a little is all!!!!

Back