Is this (pic) transplant shock, help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielsan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I planted (8) 6' Nellie Stevens Holly which were harvested by spade 3 days prior
and this is happening to one of them? How to treat, is it recoverable, should
I have my arborist supply me another under warranty? thnks, Newbi

Attachments

• Resized_20240402_080553_1712059564579.jpeg
    Resized_20240402_080553_1712059564579.jpeg
    753 KB · Views: 0
I planted (8) 6' Nellie Stevens Holly which were harvested by spade 3 days prior
Did you buy them from your arborist?
If it's under warranty, best to ask them what's wrong with it.

Over watered? Possibly herbicide contamination in soil? I would definitely call the arborist that supplied them. jmho :cool:
Welcome to the forum. :)

Try to prune it back before it dies. Roots not established enough for the top. And make sure it gets water and no fertilizer for a few months.

That you all for your input: This is where it is now.

Attachments

• 20240404_150042[1].jpg
    20240404_150042[1].jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
The two hollies were planted at the same time on a slope (above prior pic). To hold water over the root ball when applied I created a burm on the low side of the slope. No mulch has been added yet. There was no grass and there were no herbicides used on that location. This picture and the comparison pic are week after planting.

I have an extra holly, still in burlap and wire, should I pull this funky holly and replace it or let it recover? Can it recover?
How can I help it recover?

Attachments

• 20240404_150100[1].jpg
    20240404_150100[1].jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
The two hollies were planted at the same time on a slope (above prior pic). To hold water over the root ball when applied I created a burm on the low side of the slope. No mulch has been added yet. There was no grass and there were no herbicides used on that location. This picture and the comparison pic are week after planting.

I have an extra holly, still in burlap and wire, should I pull this funky holly and replace it or let it recover? Can it recover?
That's hard to answer without knowing what the cause of the distress is.
Have you asked these questions of the arborist you bought them from?

I have some limited experience with hollies, I was the office manager of a nursery and "we" raised the best hollies in the country due to a great crew who knew how to shear them and a great nurseryman who directed them how.
We had thousands of several varieties of holly, among other plants.

One year we had a late freeze that put a lot of local nurseries out of business. We survived, thankfully, although the hollies took a very hard hit.
What my boss decided to do was have the guys cut them all down to the ground.
Most of them came back good as new.

I'm not suggesting you cut yours down, or even to shear it without knowing what's causing the distress.
I'm just saying I've seen hollies recover after doing this due to freeze damage.

Also, weird...before the holly turned brown, as in the first picture above, which shows leaf curling....it had a rotting vegetation smell if you stood near it.

Yes, I would do just that. Plant a new one.

You might do better with a container grown plant.

Be sure to follow proper planting and if necessary root unfurling/pruning procedures.

Recently tree spade dug and burlaped would not transplant as well as some of the root systems are missing.

Hollies don't transplant the best.

I wanted to get all 11 in the ground to see how many would make it; I finished today. All the others look very good. So, it is just this one that has a problem. I water them 5 gals when the soil is slightly crusty on top of the root ball. I'll contact my arborist monday. FYI, during delivery he was dropping the 6' spade harvested hollies with the fork lift by tipping the forks back until the carrying strap slid down the forks and broke, repeatedly. It was driving me insane. Maybe this is the one he dropped twice and it was damaged. ...Perhaps also explaining my reluctance to have him back out.

Latest posts

Back