a couple of newbies to the herd

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
i found a 394 on CL and took a ride to look. it was $220 on the listing but i received a call when i was nearly there that the price should have been $320. since i was 3/4 of the way there i told them i would come look and we could negotiate if i liked what i saw. the 394 was a bit beaten up. the chainbrake was completely missing, the safety interlock on the top of the handle was missing, the top cover was cracked on the corner and the muffler was cracked. the cylinder looked good and compression was 155. i got the price down to $280 but i decided to pass since i already have one 394 in better shape and three 7900's.
in talking i learned that there was also a makita and stihl for sale. the makita is a dcs 540. it is a 54cc, 10.4lbs saw. it fired on the third pull, but the chain would not turn. i could not get the chainbrake to release. the seller said a saw shop said it was the clutch. i pulled the side cover and the clutch turns without any problem. i think the linkage needs checking.
then out came an all-but-new 290. it was straight-gassed. the intake side looks great. i could not see the exhaust, but maybe i will get lucky and only need a cleaning and piston and rings. i will pull it down tomorrow for a closer check.
i played up the problem with the makita and agreed that it might be a clutch and that would mean at least $100 at the dealer. i said i would take them both and we settled on a price.
i will be into them in the morning. i think the makita will be a simple fix.

Back