A day trip to the big trees in Western Australia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CM76

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I had some more spare time due to a delay with the run up of the turbine project I am currently involved with, so decided to head back South of Bunbury in Western Australia, to the fine old Karri forests located near Manjimup.

We visited the 'King Jarrah' tree - a fine old growth Jarrah tree which was saved from the early timber cutters. Two well known cutters had earmarked the tree for felling, and were due to begin cutting the tree the following morning. A conservationist had heard of the big tree's fate, and made the necessary arrangements (overnight) to have the tree marked as the property of the crown - thereby making its destruction illegal. It is an amazing old tree, nice and straight - you can easily see why it was marked for felling.

Here is a pic of the big Jarrah tree as it stands today.

attachment.php

The next lot of trees we visited were the 'Four Aces', which are a magnificent stand of Karri trees. These trees can stand up to 90m in height, with trunks that are very straight and free of limbs and growth. They are amazing trees, and I have included a pic of me standing beside the base of one of these big Karri trees to give an indication of size.

attachment.php

attachment.php

After seeing the 'Four Aces', we called into the Timber Museum at Manjimup, which gave the history of the pioneer logging in the area, as well as a fine display of logging equipment and its development throughout the years. Here is a pic of an old IEL two man saw displayed in the museum - made under licence by CC Engineering in Australia.

attachment.php

I also managed to pick up some old Stihl Lightning parts along the way - a couple of the really hard to find cylinder shrouds, and a red bonnet in great condition.

attachment.php

It was another nice day spent in the wonderful old forests of South Western Australia.

Regards,

Chris.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! :clap:

This is one of those times the tree hugger did good.
Guess I have some tree hugger in me as I will not cut down
any of the big trees on our land. My big trees are small
to the trees in the pictures.

TT

DAAYYYUMM! thats a nice piece of wood. I think my 170 would have that one down in oh say 15 minutes.

Thanks for all of the replies. It is a great part of Australia here in the West, and I have enjoyed my time over here looking around. I am already planning a return trip to see some more of the area when I have a bit more time up my sleeve.

Regards,

Chris.

Yeah that part of WA is beautiful. I toured the whole southern parts of WA back in 1998.
Those Karri trees were the biggest trees by far that I'd seen at that point (then I went to Tasmania!) but they still stick with me today. Beautiful, clean, white, straight, and TALL!!!
Did you climb the fire tree at all or go on the tree walk thingy? I climbed the 63m fire tree lookout but the walk was closed when I went through.
Nice piccys too :cheers:
Matt

Great pics, Chris. You seem to have a real nose for those old Stihls. Let me know if you want to part with the Conta shroud. The one on mine is cracked to hell.
Al.

Good pics Chris!!
Thanks!

BIG TREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND BIG SAWSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great pics, Chris. You seem to have a real nose for those old Stihls. Let me know if you want to part with the Conta shroud. The one on mine is cracked to hell.
Al.

Thanks Al.

Took delivery of the other 090AV today, so will box it up and send it over East with the other later model one.

I was indeed lucky to find the old Lightning / Contra red cover the other day. I have been looking for these parts for a while now - particularly the metal cylinder shroud (they are like hens teeth to find!), and so will hang onto it for a Lightning project I have to take care of down the track.

Nothing like the hunt for parts.

Regards,

Chris.

Latest posts

Back