Log Collection South West Western Australia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've just come back from spending 3 days at my friends farm in South West Western Australia helping Sandi and Hud collect logs from a neighbouring property. The neighbour was clearing land for a new house in a forrest and new local fire regs say all trees must be removed that will be within 65 ft of the house and all undergrowth must be removed for at least 350 ft from the house!

The forest is fairly scrappy with a mix of small (non-millable) jarrah and Marri but there were a few Sheoak (Allocasurinas) and a very hard Eucalyptus called Black Butt worth salvaging so Sandi, Hud and I spent a day collecting these small logs and bring them back to their Milling area on their property. Sandi and Hud have recently bought a small truck that came in real handy. When the neighbour bought his block it came with 2 tractors, a small bulldozer, a 4WD with water tank and pump for firefighting, and heap of farming implements. The neighbour already had a bobcat.

First job of the day was to attach the tree pusher bar to the dozer
attachment.php

This was not that easy as the bar was a bit bent out of shape so it needed a bit of persuasion.

Then it was push the trees down. This gets the roots out easier that cutting the tree down first.
attachment.php

Then I bucked up the logs and broke up the canopies using Huds 385XP and Hud used his tractor with the forks to pile them on a bonfire
The forks also came in handy to pick up the logs and put them in his little truck.

This Sheoak was the biggest - 24" at the base.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Then Sandi drove the truck with logs over to Sandi and Huds place.
They have setup a dedicated Milling area on their farm
The lean to is for milling under as it does get rather wet down there in winter.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Did I mention the truck was a tipper!
She's a little beauty
268359d1355819482-img_3254-jpg

This was the haul for the day.
268360d1355819487-img_3256-jpg

The smaller logs are going to be taken to a band mill operator (using the truck) otherwise the CSM will waste too much wood.

This milling area is one I hope to be spending some time in during my retirement
268361d1355819492-img_3259-jpg

BTW this is what happens when a medium sise kangaroo jumps into the side of your car at 60 mph.
We were really lucky that I was not travelling a bit slower otherwise I might have hit it front on and then it could have come thru the windscreen.
268362d1355819496-img_3260-jpg

The kangaroo's upper body was a mess but it still managed to hop away into the bush and I could not find it - not that you'd want to without a firearm as they can be very dangerous in that state.

Last edited:
Wow! Way to go Bob! That site looks like it would be perfect for a chainsaw milling GTG! That may be fun? I'm glad you are unscathed from the kangaroo accident.

thanks for the pics bob. looks like you guys are having some fun! sounds like some good friends if they let you setup a nice little milling area. just watch out for those roos!

Latest posts

Back