A different way to sharpen a chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still round file them....one or two swipes and she is off and cutting like new again.....whole chain takes about 2 minutes

N9, don't worry about the monkeys.

they are all busy picking lice off each other, and don't understand when someone is trying to rationalize and explain physical phenomena. Newton, Einstein, Bernoulli et al all had similar issues.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having read your posts, and wanted to ponder upon them, and add them to our paradigm of how things work.

I will suggest strongly the chain does indeed dolphin along. If you think about it awhile, it doesn't really change anything. The chain leaves the bar, cuts.

It does cut much like you suggest. And your thoughts about a short cutter are something I had not considered.

If I understand one of your points, a worn out cutter needs a shorter raker???

This actually follows my experience with my processor. I did not appreciate the magnitude of the difference between worn cutter/new cutter until I saw your diagram. I'm still assimilating this article.

One thing you didnt' post. As you shorten the cutter, the kerf gets narrower.

The narrower the kerf, the less mass the chain has to carry out. Is the mass of the wood significant? I don't know.

Like someone else posted, I think a significant amount of work done by the chain occurs when it cuts the wood fibers. And, it cuts the wood fibers with the SIDE of the cutter.

Your comments about the vertical cutting of the teeth are a different way for me to think about things, but they sure make sense.

Like I said, when the monkeys squeak, some of the smarter folks are pondering.

Thank you,
Doug

:monkey: speaks?

Spank the :monkey:

Does the :monkey: get hurt? :monkey:

:monkey: Give us your wisdom, oh great smart one. :monkey:

I mean, I are just an unemployed engineer with an IQ of 140...

Beer and babes are easier to understand.
Well, at least beer is. I never understood women.

-The head :monkey:

Last edited:
Damn, I just read that guy's crap this morning with coffee before I leave...what an amazing load of #### to read @ 4:00 AM. He's the "smart" guy that can't figure out how to buck a log that is wound up or start a cut...

N9, don't worry about the monkeys.

they are all busy picking lice off each other, and don't understand when someone is trying to rationalize and explain physical phenomena. Newton, Einstein, Bernoulli et al all had similar issues.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having read your posts, and wanted to ponder upon them, and add them to our paradigm of how things work.

You sure you're on the right forum? We're talkin' about farkin' saw chain... not quantum physics... (hell I prolly even spelled quantum wrong)

Whatever mang... :rolleyes:

Gary

I've been reading threads on this site for about three yrs. now, and I've really learned a lot from you guys, However, after wasting close to a twelve pack of beer reading and trying to comprehend the first post to this thread I feel dumber than ever, (and was purty dam dum to start with):givebeer: :clap: :givebeer: :clap: :givebeer: :cheers:

Pushing on the bar hard, the chain doesn't seem to be porpoising when I cut logs and branches and stuff, hard flat on the rails seems to me, teeth all cutting dead flat as in a picture, you wouldn't need a movie, porpoising is just a fancy word for wavy undulations, it's all just loose chains caused by too long bars :chatter:

Pushing on the bar hard, the chain doesn't seem to be porpoising when I cut logs and branches and stuff, hard flat on the rails seems to me, teeth all cutting dead flat as in a picture, you wouldn't need a movie, porpoising is just a fancy word for wavy undulations, it's all just loose chains caused by too long bars :chatter:

Maybe we should brainstorm the construction of a saw with a retractable bar so you just stick out what you need commensurate with the size of wood at hand. That would prevent all that excess chain from flapping around in the breeze. You would be able to keep the chain pressed tight between wood and bar. Of course in the process you would necessitate the perfect length regulation of the cutters or have to resort to the method recommended by the original poster of a complicated process of tailor making the raker length of the preceeding teeth to control the cut of the following tooth!

Yup, I am going to get right on it!

I found it interesting to try to see if there was due process to his thinking or just baffle gab. If he applied it to fixed cutters on a rigid circular or flat saw I think his theory had a lot of validity, however he makes a firm assumption that a chainsaw chain only has straight lineal motion and any porpoising is thought a flaw. It makes any attempted explanation very complicated to say the least. You have to get very creative if their is error in the basic concept.

Maybe we should brainstorm the construction of a saw with a retractable bar so you just stick out what you need commensurate with the size of wood at hand. That would prevent all that excess chain from flapping around in the breeze. You would be able to keep the chain pressed tight between wood and bar. Of course in the process you would necessitate the perfect length regulation of the cutters or have to resort to the method recommended by the original poster of a complicated process of tailor making the raker length of the preceeding teeth to control the cut of the following tooth!

Yup, I am going to get right on it!

Boy, it would be nice to reel out enough to get the job done and be able to reach places from one spot , sorta like the extendable pole saws. The size, weight, and mass of this - the way I view it wouldn't have any advanages over the short-comings of using a longer bar.

Hey, what the heck is all this easy to read and understand stuff? I thought that this thread was about the overly complex physics and dynamics of saw chain travel that requires deep transcendental thought and meditation about dolphin motion and harmonic oscillation? :greenchainsaw:

Good post.

Print this .PDF and take the time to read it carefully and thoroughly.
http://www.sawchain.com/images/complete book.pdf

It has taught me a lot more than anything else in this message thread.

Latest posts

Back