A Felling Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's got to be a fair bit of difference between cutting US softwood and AU hardwood. We took down a massive multistem cypress today, technically a softwood but yet as hard as US Oak. What works in one situation on one side of the world doesn't automatically work elsewhere. Ausie trees are fast grown and can be extremely heavy, hellish dense and bloody hard
Good point, softwoods are generaly much more forgiving than hardwood. Softwoods can be put thru a much smaller window in the canopy and are a about 1/3 the weight and are less likely to barber chair if an unintensional dutchman is placed. But every tree has it's inherant dangers.
However the worst injuries I've had were in softwood timber.

However the worst injuries I've had were in softwood timber.
I haven't cut a lot of large trees because we just don't have them in our area. However it seems that around here 6-12" diameter birch and maple are the most dangerous trees to fell because the butt can bounce excessively once the crown contacts the ground. Several feet to either side and up to 8' above the stump. I always take a few extra steps back. OTOH you can drop an 18" aspen and it if bounces at all its a surprise.

I thought I was done with the tree turning discussion, but I couldn't restrain myself from asking a registered structural engineer today if a tree with a slight natural lean could be felled 180 degrees from the natural lean using only incremental cuts. I told him I was asking due to an ongoing international dispute between loggers. FWIW He said, "Yes." And, if there is any lingering doubt, in both northern and southern hemispheres. However, for safety purposes, he said he would recommend mechanical assistance. I told him I was going to quote him on the internet. He was fine with that.

Ron

In our bush it is more economical to cut then snig as you go, you start at the bottom of a slope & work upwards with the heads laying into the open areas already worked. That log was 1.85m dia at the butt & 1.25m dia at 32m. My own dozer is only about 4.5 tonnes, when I was contract falling we would use a cat D6C or D5B with the average tree volume of around 3-4 m3 with the occasional ones up around the 10m3. Our trees are very heavy & tall so when an over cut is made they pinch & stuff the bar real good real quick. View attachment 431916View attachment 431917View attachment 431918View attachment 431919
Thansk

The biggest merch timber I get up here is in the 4ft range. So you've got me beat on size. Problably height too? My tallest usually have 60ft of logs in them, occaisionally taller. We only have mid-May thru mid-October with leaves on em though. Thought rot was a rarity? Maybe more common on the bigguns for you? You have any pics of the stump?

The biggest merch timber I get up here is in the 4ft range. So you've got me beat on size. Problably height too? My tallest usually have 60ft of logs in them, occaisionally taller. We only have mid-May thru mid-October with leaves on em though. Thought rot was a rarity? Maybe more common on the bigguns for you? You have any pics of the stump?
There are plenty of trees with fire damage, scars, pipes & internal punk, they are left as mentioned to make up the 10 per hectare have to be retained for environmental reasons, nobody knowingly will take a quota sawlog with rot in it, so they aren't knowingly cut.image.jpgimage.jpg
Thansk

Bewildered, you are getting too predictable. Your stick and sapling are not going to change anybody's mind any more than I can change yours. No disrespect intended. BTW he said just try it somewhere and on some tree where you are not endangering anyone or anything if you don't get a cut just right. Ron

Bewildered, you are getting too predictable. Your stick and sapling are not going to change anybody's mind any more than I can change yours. No disrespect intended. BTW he said just try it somewhere and on some tree where you are not endangering anyone or anything if you don't get a cut just right. Ron
Obviously a job for mythbusters then. LOL
Thansk

There are plenty of trees with fire damage, scars, pipes & internal punk, they are left as mentioned to make up the 10 per hectare have to be retained for environmental reasons, nobody knowingly will take a quota sawlog with rot in it, so they aren't knowingly cut.View attachment 432035View attachment 432036
Thansk
That stump looks to be several years old as did the log laying on the ground. You have any recent stumps? There are entire jobs I cut, high ground too, where I have to butt off every tree. They show no physical signs from the outside.

You're a funny guy Ron. Thanks for asking! Thats the fun thing about wood. It bends.

I cut all hardwoods by the way. Not sure if anyone got the wrong impression there.
Curious. Is something like red oak more difficult to turn because the fibers separate so easily? Or is it easier than something that holds together like elm?

That stump looks to be several years old as did the log laying on the ground. You have any recent stumps? There are entire jobs I cut, high ground too, where I have to butt off every tree. They show no physical signs from the outside.
Yes I did cut it some years back, it's only 150 meters up the hill from my home so it's slowly being cut up for firewood from the downhill end. When our trees get older & bigger that's when they get pipes in them, the outside tension of the tree is so great it disintegrates & crushes the timber in the centre of the log from the pressure, then the termites & punk can get a hold. Young trees normally don't have this problem, but some species like red iron bark are prone to it at a smaller size.
image.jpg image.jpg
I knew you were going to ask so I took a few more pics when I was in the bush the other day.
Thansk

Curious. Is something like red oak more difficult to turn because the fibers separate so easily? Or is it easier than something that holds together like elm?
To borrow from a much earlier MustangMike post "if I'm turning a sweet-gum, I am frequently mistaken for a professional. If it is a beech, not so much"
I don't know the science, but some species have wood that will twist and flex a lot without breaking. If live oaks grew tall and straight, I'd bet those would turn 360 degrees.

I tell you what, Bwildered. Send me a to scale ported midget chainsaw with a sharp chain and I'll attempt to enlist our resident surgeon, Jon, to fall the 1" sapling stem of his choice. A 32 to 1 scale should be about right. Don't forget to include a decompression valve on the saw and proper mix instructions. Maybe throw in an extra chain or two so he can practice. :chainsaw:

Better yet if Jon will agree to go down your way, you can pick the stem so we won't be arguing over its balance. That will also save you some shipping costs.

:yes:

Ron

To borrow from a much earlier MustangMike post "if I'm turning a sweet-gum, I am frequently mistaken for a professional. If it is a beech, not so much"
I don't know the science, but some species have wood that will twist and flex a lot without breaking. If live oaks grew tall and straight, I'd bet those would turn 360 degrees.
I'm wondering how much you could twist a rubber tree?

I tell you what, Bwildered. Send me a to scale ported midget chainsaw with a sharp chain and I'll attempt to enlist our resident surgeon, Jon, to fall the 1" sapling stem of his choice. A 32 to 1 scale should be about right. Don't forget to include a decompression valve on the saw and proper mix instructions. Maybe throw in an extra chain or two so he can practice. :chainsaw:

Better yet if Jon will agree to go down your way, you can pick the stem so we won't be arguing over its balance. That will also save you some shipping costs.

:yes:

Ron
I have sent you a scale saw in the post, it's an Armstrong brand, don't forget to burp & fart before starting it to decompress the power unit.
Thansk

Back