A few questions about husky 262xp.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan in MO

Reaction score
I just picked up a 262xp. I called local dealers he says it was made in 1993. I got it for 50 bucks and was told it doesn't run and will take a lot to make it run. I pulled rope and it spun over good, so I figured I'll see if I can get it going. I got home and pulled spark plug, got spark. Looking every thing over I found the problem, fuel line broke in half. 6 bucks at dealer, 15 min. to put it in and a few pulls later it fired right up. Now that the history is out of the way comes the questions.

1) What should the compression be, and what is acceptable?

2) After doing some reading here it seems that these saws have a different piston, jug and clutch than a 262, is this right?

3) This is the first pro type saw i have owned, with its age is there any thing I need to look for?

I did make a few cuts with it and it did great, big difference between it and my 455. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I just picked up a 262xp. I called local dealers he says it was made in 1993. I got it for 50 bucks and was told it doesn't run and will take a lot to make it run. I pulled rope and it spun over good, so I figured I'll see if I can get it going. I got home and pulled spark plug, got spark. Looking every thing over I found the problem, fuel line broke in half. 6 bucks at dealer, 15 min. to put it in and a few pulls later it fired right up. Now that the history is out of the way comes the questions.

2) After doing some reading here it seems that these saws have a different piston, jug and clutch than a 262, is this right?

3) This is the first pro type saw i have owned, with its age is there any thing I need to look for?

I did make a few cuts with it and it did great, big difference between it and my 455. Thanks in advance for your replies.

1. 150+
2. No, you're thinking of 261, but you got the rest right.
3. Replace all rubber in the fuel system. Fuel line, impulse hose.

1.Compression should be over 120psi and up to as much as 200, 120 is the very bear minimum and it may not even run great at that.
2. Can not help ya on that one
3. I would consider a pressure and vacuum test and maybe replace the crank seals just for good measure. Pull the muffler and take a look at the piston/cylinder for signs of scoring.

The 262xp is a very sought after saw and $50 was a steal in any condition.

Wow, thanks for the fast replies. Forgot to mention that I did pull muffler and carb before firing, no scoring. Saw is in pretty good shape, its complete and has a 20 in bar. It was filthy but nothing a little cleaning couldn't fix. Thanks again for the replies. How hard is it to start a saw with up to 200psi?

Last edited:
1. 150+
2. No, you're thinking of 261, but you got the rest right.
3. Replace all rubber in the fuel system. Fuel line, impulse hose.

yes....ZC omitted that 261 & 262's have different mufflers....i have to 262's and one that is a 261/262 convert. one of the 262's was free and needed nothing but a cleaning. for $50, you did very well.

Wow, thanks for the fast replies. Forgot to mention that I did pull muffler and carb before firing, no scoring. Saw is in pretty good shape, its complete and has a 20 in bar. It was filthy but nothing a little cleaning couldn't fix. Thanks again for the replies. How hard is it to start a saw with up to 200psi?

It is not the easiest task without a decomp valve. I had a McCulloch PM650 with 205psi and I currently own a late 70's 162SE, with a 266xp top end, with 195psi. Broken recoil ropes and busted starter pulleys are common.

unless this saw has a pop-up piston, something is wrong with your gauge if it's reading 200psi on a 262. ~160-170psi is more accurate.

DSC00306.jpg

It does bite back! 262XP ported:msp_smile:

1. 160 is great , 120 is getting low for stock 262.

2. 262 vs 261, piston, clutch and muffler are different, cylinder is the same.

3. Someone to buy the 455.

congrats on the 262,:clap:

These are exceptional saws and if you got one complete and running (minus a fuel line) for $50.00 you got a heck of a deal. What everyone has said is spot on. A 262XP should run 160-170psi. stock. They are the most factory hotrodded saw I've ever seen. You can port them but the amount of metal you can remove is rather small compared to other pro saws. Husqvarna worked hard to offer a saw this close to the edge of performance for production. I can't think of any other saw reguardless of brand that comes close to the 262XP for performance for ccs/weight.

These are exceptional saws and if you got one complete and running (minus a fuel line) for $50.00 you got a heck of a deal. What everyone has said is spot on. A 262XP should run 160-170psi. stock. They are the most factory hotrodded saw I've ever seen. You can port them but the amount of metal you can remove is rather small compared to other pro saws. Husqvarna worked hard to offer a saw this close to the edge of performance for production. I can't think of any other saw reguardless of brand that comes close to the 262XP for performance for ccs/weight.

while close, the 7900 trumps the 262 in terms of power/weight and power/cc. these figures represent actual weights, not factory specs.

262 2.7lb/hp 12.9cc/hp
7900 2.3lb/hp 12.5cc/hp
346 3.1lbs/hp 13.5cc/hp

while close, the 7900 trumps the 262 in terms of power/weight and power/cc. these figures represent actual weights, not factory specs.

262 2.7lb/hp 12.9cc/hp
7900 2.3lb/hp 12.5cc/hp
346 3.1lbs/hp 13.5cc/hp

The Euro MS361 also is 2.7lb/hp and 12.9cc/hp.

Another point is that larger saws always will have an advantage over smaller ones in such comparisons, as some parts will weight basically the same, regardless of the cc of the saw.

The 560xp is 2.5lb/hp and 12.5cc/hp, if the weight specs are true........

Last edited:
I need some help!

i own a Husqvarna 262XP but the sticker are all gone!
can someone send me some high-res pictures of these stickers?
because i want to reproduce them so that my baby looks like new!

Many thanks!

Back