A good saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check your local Home Depot for rental Makita (Dolmar) 6401's. Unbeatable value and a 20" bar is perfect. IMHO, you need at least a 60cc pro built saw.

:agree2: If running a one-saw plan then a 60cc is perfect for a 20" bar & chain. That 6401 is one of the better options especially considering what you can score one for.

Is it a buildable saw easy to get parts any aftermarket?? And I'll have to try sometime to check. It out I'm over a hundred. Miles from a homedepot

Is it a buildable saw easy to get parts any aftermarket?? And I'll have to try sometime to check. It out I'm over a hundred. Miles from a homedepot

The dolmar/makitas are one very popular big bore saw in the 6400 . Its not very often you see them still factory , I think everyone that has one big bores it because they can . Ive seen the oem 7900 top end is the best eay to go . They were sold to HD as rental equipment saws , and could be found easily. Thats my next project as well. I think its one of the most prominent bb kits out there.

I guess I'm the black sheep here, but I wouldn't run a 20" on an 026 myself. I would go with an 036 at 20 inches.

Tony

I agree with Tony. 50cc wouldnt cut it for me running a 20" bar all day. 60cc is minimum.

I'd grab a Stihl 362 or a Husky 562xp. It'll cost you a little extra but it's well worth it. If you really need to get one on the cheap then just get the 390 Stihl. The Dolmar 6400 or Makita 6401 is another good choice.

How about telling us what your budget is? That will help a lot. How heavily will it be worked?

Need more info

We would need more detailed information to know what saw would actually fit your needs. Are you going to use this for work? ie, daily? Do you cut firewood to heat your house with? How much? Do you cut firewood to sell? Do you clear fencelines or thin forest with a saw? What kind of trees do you typically cut and how large? What other saws do you have and which of those are best suited for your "average" cutting?

If you give us more info, you'll get better feedback.

Stihl 390 is good choice, but at $539' ish, I'd probably get a Makita / Dolmar 6401 instead. Best choice for the money is the Stihl MS290 for $350'ish w/ 2 year warranty and run the crap out of it. It will handle a 20" bar w/ yellow pro chain in .325 all day long with no complaints. Keep the chain sharp. Good friend has a fleet of them he uses to sell firewood (oak) and cuts 100+ full cords per year. His newest MS290 is almost 3 years old now and his oldest is 13+ years. He swears by them and would never go back to paying $800 for a "pro" (044) saw again.

Farm boss solid saw

I currently own two ms290 and cut about 30 cord a year. Best saw for the money. Start with that, and build your collection from there.

.... You must be in Lee County! Like others stated , what are your needs exactly? How much do you have to spend? If I was cutting a sh!t load of wood I would maybe go for a 360MAG (1 saw). It would do a little of everything for you. Or like someone else stated, Go with the 260 and maybe get a 440 at a later date. The 50/70cc combo will take care of all your wood cutting needs AND save your back for splitting and stacking. That's just my honest opinion.

Ive had my Echo CS440 for the last 7 years and its (knock on wood) never let me down. If what you are looking for is homeowner type use might wanna give this one a thought. Its cheaper but at no quality loss. Oils well and will turn a 20 inch bar no problem. I have used it on trees/brush/limbs/firewood with no problem. And always starts in 2-3 pulls. A little bit ago I saw a basically brand new one in a pawn shop for $200 - which I should have bought.

OP, I don't understand your statement of MSRP + $100. Are you saying when you buy a saw you would have to pay $100 over the retail price?? If so, why? I am sure there are hundreds of Stihl dealers that would be very happy to have a saw go out the door at MSRP. If that isn't what you meant, what did you mean?

Last edited:
yes you heard me right the only echo dealer i can find with in a reasonable distance is asking anywhere from 60 to 100 dollars over retail price, the only way to get any knocked off is to find the old man that runs the place there without his wife, and that's not very often that old woman will burn you a new one.

And no im not in Lee county im in the patrick, carroll area and that a lil over estimating theres one thats a little over 70 miles lol.

About these dolmars would i be able to take a 6400 and later be able to add a 7900 top end? my budget for a saw is around 300 id like to find a used saw, so i dont have to worry about voiding a warenty, and to save me a few dollars and im not sure about how many cords, but i usually cut 50 or 60 full size ford long bed loads full every year and cut fence posts and such

I'd definately be going the pro saw route , as you're cutting 20-30 full cords /yr . Their speed and power = less time and effort . I'd seriously be looking for a good used 70 + or - cc saw to do what you're doing . IMO the Huskys ( 262, 272 ,371 ) rev quicker / handle nicer than their german counterparts . One of these saws could be had for $300 .

I'm looking for a good saw to use everyday, I don't really need a large saw, but I need something to handle a 20 inch bar, I want to be able to do a few mods such as muffler porting and throwing out that pesky head gasket. I have been reading on here as well online n. I have been thinking about these models 029 039 n, s260 ms290 310 or 390 any body recommend any of these saw if so which would you suggest be the best option for me or maybe any other saws to help me narrow it down, thanks.

ide suggest a 562xp husky light ,fast cutting ,same weight as a 46 stihl but i dont think u could compare them.the husky would muitlate it .there a commercial light weight ,and use the stronger crank .u could do what ever u wanted with this little saw but might not need to .

yes you heard me right the only echo dealer i can find with in a reasonable distance is asking anywhere from 60 to 100 dollars over retail price, the only way to get any knocked off is to find the old man that runs the place there without his wife, and that's not very often that old woman will burn you a new one.

And no im not in Lee county im in the patrick, carroll area and that a lil over estimating theres one thats a little over 70 miles lol.

About these dolmars would i be able to take a 6400 and later be able to add a 7900 top end? my budget for a saw is around 300 id like to find a used saw, so i dont have to worry about voiding a warenty, and to save me a few dollars and im not sure about how many cords, but i usually cut 50 or 60 full size ford long bed loads full every year and cut fence posts and such

Exactly what they do to the dolmars / makitas . You should be able to find a used one in that cc range for your budget easy enough.

ide go a 562xp auto tune,its the smallest of the commercial saws but has the strong crank, light weght ,rev's of it's head .same weight as a 46 stihl but the husky would blow it into the reeds in my opinion.i wouldnt bother with any smaller saws .
but if u are cutting mega tones of fire would u want either a 390 or a 395 they will cut over 2000 tone be4 loosing compression ect

nmurph has another one of his 346XPs up on the classifieds now, for 300 buckaroonis, and he de man on those saws.

You could do much worse.....

Go to the dealerships and handle the saws of your choice. If you find one you like, look around and find a used one. If not buy one from a dealership and build a relationship with them, you will be thankful you have a good standing with them if you need parts or repair.

Sides that, pick your own saw, if you screw up you have nobody to blame but the guy in the mirror.

Latest posts

Back