A little advice... 066 red light trade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm lurking around on AS after years of being away... with the aftermarket parts boom of the last 10 years and all the new models out on the market, I'm a little behind the knowledge curve. I'm a newbie again!

Well, I'll start out by saying I don't know much about 066s. I bought this saw as a non-runner in the mid-2000s. It was my first 066 and I was intending to rebuild it as my main milling saw, since my 2100 was getting a bit hard to find parts for, at least at that time. I ended up thinking it was maybe a sticky wicket for an 066 neophyte, especially since milling saws generally need to be torn down more often. Log story short, I set it aside and ended up using 288s, 394s, and an 046 for milling, and completely forgot about it. So there is sits and I know diddly squat about it.

It also occurs to me that an original, dual-port muffler red light might have some intrinsic value to a collector type and, as a guy who likes to have a few dozen saws in the shop, I'd like to be sensitive to that.

What I'd like to do on trading post is trade is trade it, 066 for 066, for a more recent model with a more straightforward parts availability. I just don't really know what a good trade is on this saw.

Thoughts?

Fair enough.... that looks easier than it used to be, looking at this little dashboard here. I'll post some pics this eve when I get off work.

That's a pretty decent looking old saw...it could be fixed up as a nice runner from the looks of it. Do you know how the internals are? The red-light saws were fine runners and even more so after ditching the rev-limited coil. I used to build hotrods with those using an 064 flywheel, starter, and ignition back in the day.

Two things:
The non decomp flat top cylinders are a prized piece. Take the top cover off and see if the cylinder is original to the saw. And not a replacement that's been plugged.

Remove the recoil cover and post a pic of the coil/flywheel. It's possible it's been converted to an unlimited coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It pulls over with compression. I've not popped the muffler, but experience tells me there's no piston damage. Tomorrow I'll pull some covers and take pics of the innards.

I'm strongly suspecting this is an all original saw, for better or for worse. I'm remembering as best I can a 10-year-old conversation, but when I met the owner I got the distinct impression he bought it, ran it for a while, then set it aside and never went back to it. What I don't know is whether it stopped running because something went south or it just clogged up from sitting. I suppose that's the million dollar question, eh? I've always just taken for granted that it will need a complete overhaul.

Hey, for $80, I was pinching myself.

BTW, thanks for weighing in, gents. I'm a little over my head on this one.

Coil is probably bad.
I have a 660 here if you are looking for one

Thanks, Jason. I suppose the overall goal for me would be to trade this red light for a rebuildable 66 that is a bit more mainstream. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't just clean it up and attempt to crank it up to sus the condition of the internals. Some rubber, a carb kit... might just thunder to life.

Thanks, Jason. I suppose the overall goal for me would be to trade this red light for a rebuildable 66 that is a bit more mainstream. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't just clean it up and attempt to crank it up to sus the condition of the internals. Some rubber, a carb kit... might just thunder to life.

At least clean it up, eyeball the piston, and check the compression. If you want to trade it, you really need to have this info.

I have a 660 that runs just fine,no need to rebuild.
Doesn't matter to me what's wrong with the red light

Supposedly a tuning aid, red light would come on when saw was on the rev limiter i think.
Oh right. That sounds like a reasonable idea, like the red zone on a car's tacho. But on a potted minaturised chainsaw coil, in a hot rugged environment, I guess that's "it's just more to go wrong". So I guess that's why the idea seemed to get dropped.

Wow! What a gem!
Trying to offer a 660 for an 066 this nice is like offering a toddler five one dollar bills for a $100 bill.
A flat top 066 is a Kool saw but how is a non running one that nobody knows what's wrong with worth more than a running 660?

One of 2 things will be wrong with the red light, flywheel side bearing or the ignition.

A good clean cylinder cover for a flat top is worth as much as the non running saw but looks like this one is busted by the badge,is it?

A flat top 066 is a Kool saw but how is a non running one that nobody knows what's wrong with worth more than a running 660?

One of 2 things will be wrong with the red light, flywheel side bearing or the ignition.

A good clean cylinder cover for a flat top is worth as much as the non running saw but looks like this one is busted by the badge,is it?
I bet there ain't **** wrong with that saw. But he does want a trade for something newer.

Handles broken, top covers cracked, missing west coast clutch cover. Oil and gas caps have been replaced, elastostart added. muffler is missing screws.
If he bought it as a non runner I'd say it's likely someone popped the muffler cover off and didn't like what they saw. I'm a **** detective though.
Guess we'll have to wait until he pulls those covers back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back