A little advice... 066 red light trade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, getting used to the new pic posting system. I think I got em all in there, one way or the other. I'm on duty and I only have a few tools. The scrench I had was not long enough to get the plug out, so the alternative was taking the top cover off, which would've required me to remove the intake or the full wrap....so I didn't. I did loosen top cover and got my hand in there and I'm pretty sure there's no comp release plug.... that wold have been a pretty big nut. I also don't SEE it under there.

The piston is a nice, shiny one, no scoring, saw pulls over smoothly. I don't have a comp tester, but there is clearly a fair amount of compression. But, honestly, I'm sure the saw deserves and maybe needs a new piston/ring setup.

You guys are going to have to tell me about the ignition.

Sorry, getting used to the new pic posting system. I think I got em all in there, one way or the other. I'm on duty and I only have a few tools. The scrench I had was not long enough to get the plug out, so the alternative was taking the top cover off, which would've required me to remove the intake or the full wrap....so I didn't. I did loosen top cover and got my hand in there and I'm pretty sure there's no comp release plug.... that wold have been a pretty big nut. I also don't SEE it under there.

The piston is a nice, shiny one, no scoring, saw pulls over smoothly. I don't have a comp tester, but there is clearly a fair amount of compression. But, honestly, I'm sure the saw deserves and maybe needs a new piston/ring setup.

You guys are going to have to tell me about the ignition.
The cylinder cover will come off if you remove the 3 bolts.
Nothing else needs to be removed.

I don't care what is wrong with it, if you want a 660 that runs I'll trade.
No point in taking it apart.
I can post some pics if you want

Piston looks good. Ignition module appears to be redlight original. Rev limited. I bet with some new rubber bits it'll run fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Saw fires on mix, sounds as it should, smooth quiet, no bad noises. So there's ignition and timing issues taken care of. I can't say that I feel strong-arm compression, it was clearly good enough to run. But maybe the elastostart is throwing me off, I don't know. If it was a saw I was going to keep, I'd put a piston in there.... I would think an non-comp 066 in good nick would be a bear to pull over, this saw isn't.

So.... if I was going to fix it up.... seals (on general principle), all the fuel system rubber, a piston, then I'd go to the woods with it. Looks to be a relatively easy mechanical fix. Aesthetics aren't that hot, obviously... a crack/hole near the top badge, missing a bit of the bottom handle, plastics are faded, saw is obviously dirty. BUT... nice full wrap, dual port muffler. The bottom muff screws are missing... someone probably did look in there and didn't reassemble correctly.

So there you have it.

I'd fix it and keep it. Those are great old saws. Love mine. Sounds like you have a solid plan.

The cylinder cover will come off if you remove the 3 bolts.
Nothing else needs to be removed.

I don't care what is wrong with it, if you want a 660 that runs I'll trade.
No point in taking it apart.
I can post some pics if you want

I did remove those, but the full wrap won't let the cover go up, so it would've had to be pulled towards the rear.... the plug sticking out didn't give me the clearance without removing the intake.

Jason, a few pics would be nice, for sure. So, anybody can chime in... I don't mind being a tiny bit of an idiot in the trade, but I'm hoping someone would let me know if I'm being TOO much of a dumb-**s, I just don't have enough experience with these. .... I'd get a 660 to mill with, Jason, who seem so appreciate the "red lighty-ness" of the saw (I don't so much, but I appreciate the notion that he wants a short-run original).
'

I'd fix it and keep it. Those are great old saws. Love mine. Sounds like you have a solid plan.

And my CAD is indeed screaming... but let me put it this way... I've got 4 372s, 2 272s, 3 044s, 2 046s, 3 036s, an 034, 9 (yes 9!) 026s, 2 288s, an HVA 2100 (maybe 2, depending on how you're counting), a 262, 2 266XPs, a 394, a Dolmar whatever or two, 2 HVA 350s, a 346... and I'll bet I'm forgetting at least 5 others. I built up most of them. As far as how much cutting I do, I use an 026 and throw a 372 or an 044 behind the seat as a backup when I go to the woods, and I mill some. So having made the decision that I'd probably not mill with it (cool old saw is probably too good for that sort of abuse), I have a hard time justifying yet another saw that doesn't DO anything but wait for me to die... my wife was pretty happy to hear that I wold not be obtaining another saw, I would be merely trading for one. Actually, I should NOT be hard on her, she's a total stud for letting my CAD run rampant. Great gal, really.... she even LISTENS to me when I talk about saws. Dream come true.

Sooo... I should probably get it to someone who will appreciate it for what it is, and mill my juniper with something I don't mind breaking.

A little guidance from some knowledgeable folks never hurts, though.

The reason I'll trade is because a 660 means nothing to me but a old flat top would,the red light cylinder can be ok timed but the worst stock timed one I've seen was a red light cylinder, it also doesn't mean anything to me because there not good cylinders to port.

The top cover is nla and absolutely impossible to find so it can't be replaced
The wrap you can keep if you have a 1/2 you can put on it

If you are actually going to use the saw then the 660 is a much better choice than the 066 because if the flywheel side bearing ain't out it will be and if it don't have a dual key flywheel they can be difficult to find,again none of that bothers me because I have all the stuff already

The 660 is about a 1/4 of a tank in on a rebuild with oem parts.
20170410_191141.jpg

The reason I'll trade is because a 660 means nothing to me but a old flat top would,the red light cylinder can be ok timed but the worst stock timed one I've seen was a red light cylinder, it also doesn't mean anything to me because there not good cylinders to port.

The top cover is nla and absolutely impossible to find so it can't be replaced
The wrap you can keep if you have a 1/2 you can put on it

If you are actually going to use the saw then the 660 is a much better choice than the 066 because if the flywheel side bearing ain't out it will be and if it don't have a dual key flywheel they can be difficult to find,again none of that bothers me because I have all the stuff already

The 660 is about a 1/4 of a tank in on a rebuild with oem parts.
View attachment 571943

Sounds like the saw will get a good home and the 660 is an ideal candidate for the work. Perfect, Jason, I like everything I hear. It probably sounds like I've lost my cookies, but I'm not partial to the full wrap. And I do have them on some of my other sawss... but I don't fell, which seems like the task at which they'd shine... they're spiffy for sure and have their uses but, for me at least, they'd reduce access to the saw when it's bolted into the rig. It's all yours.

Ok, then. [email protected]. I'm on duty in Timbuktu right now, so you'll need to give me a few days to a week to find the right box and get it packaged up. I'll make it a good job, you don't need another dent in this plastic. All that sound ok? I'm not in any hurry (at all), but I'm game to move ahead if you are.

Sounds like the saw will get a good home and the 660 is an ideal candidate for the work. Perfect, Jason, I like everything I hear. It probably sounds like I've lost my cookies, but I'm not partial to the full wrap. And I do have them on some of my other sawss... but I don't fell, which seems like the task at which they'd shine... they're spiffy for sure and have their uses but, for me at least, they'd reduce access to the saw when it's bolted into the rig. It's all yours.

Ok, then. [email protected]. I'm on duty in Timbuktu right now, so you'll need to give me a few days to a week to find the right box and get it packaged up. I'll make it a good job, you don't need another dent in this plastic. All that sound ok? I'm not in any hurry (at all), but I'm game to move ahead if you are.
Pm me in a couple days and we will get it all squared away. Sound good?

So, anybody can chime in... I don't mind being a tiny bit of an idiot in the trade, but I'm hoping someone would let me know if I'm being TOO much of a dumb-**s, I just don't have enough experience with these. .... I'd get a 660 to mill with, Jason, who seem so appreciate the "red lighty-ness" of the saw (I don't so much, but I appreciate the notion that he wants a short-run original).
'

Sounds like a win-win to me, based on what you're looking for.

Back