A little brother for the 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i understand completely.

Almost all of the wood I cut at home is small enough that I wouldn't really need larger than my 361. I currently use my little Poulan 2555 for the smallest stuff and taking off limbs after the tree is down. Just been thinking of an upgrade in the little saw department.

There are Huskys and Jreds that I've played with and liked. But, there is a servicing Stihl dealer 6 miles from the house and also one right next door to where I work. Figured I would stick with them.

that is a very good reason to stick with Stihl.

I purchased my 026 Pro back in '96 - at the time, I didn't need a full time saw, but planned for the future. And up to Dec '08 when I purchased an MS361, it was my only saw, cut about 2 cords per year, and many miscellaneous trim jobs over the years. 16" bar, .325 chain, keep 'em sharp and you won't regret getting one. If I already had a 361, I would maybe look at the 200T, but if you've decided the size/power of the MS260 meets your needs, you'll be happy with this saw. Good luck and safe cutting.

Almost all of the wood I cut at home is small enough that I wouldn't really need larger than my 361. I currently use my little Poulan 2555 for the smallest stuff and taking off limbs after the tree is down. Just been thinking of an upgrade in the little saw department.

There are Huskys and Jreds that I've played with and liked. But, there is a servicing Stihl dealer 6 miles from the house and also one right next door to where I work. Figured I would stick with them.

I like my 210. I think it's called 211 now, with revisions. It's super light and the picco chain cuts fast without much power. It's great for limbing 4" or less. 16" bar.

I had a 026 and then i got a good deal on a 260 on craigslist. I put a 16'' bar on mine w/ .325 chain and it cuts like a raped ape. I haven't muffler modded it yet but I plan on it in the near future! Its not to heavy, so I can use it to clear trail!

The 260 is a great saw, but run .325 chain on it. I set them up for crews who only plan to limb with 3/8 .050 anyone else gets the smaller stuff.

What the OP didn't say was what does he plan to use the saw for? Just firewood cutting? Limbing, clearing sappling, bucking smaller material?

I'd suggest the 211, has been a great saw for my customers so far. I haven't had anyone who didn't like it, yet.

BTW, not sure where you are located (too lazy to go back and check) but NES is out of 260's, only the 260 Pro's are left in stock. Those shops that have the plain Jane's, grab them, the Pro is not worth the extra monies...either way, 211/260 you'll be happy.

Last edited:
I've run mostly and many 026's , later pro's which are about the same. Most of them run very well and I had 1 I run 20" 3/8's that pulled it well. Had others that didnt feel as good as that 1 but most felt close. I don't use that size saw for serious bucking in anything over 10 " and don't feel the least bit handicapped with 3/8. As a secondary saw 18" bar is my favorite on the 026-260 . I use it mostly for making firewood in bushy oak tops, but I find bigger saws in my hands most of the time.
If you just want a smaller saw more for occasional use like if you plan on using the 361 mostly I'd consider a ms250. Is light and pleasant to use, just not fast. Its like taking a break to run a tank through it while still making wood. I like using a cheaper saw when I'm cutting something I think might be risky to the saw also.

How close is the nearest Husky dealer ? A 346 is well worth some travel over a 260. Besides, you will only need a dealer once and that is when you buy the saw.

run the 361 one bucking 3 -4cords in a day and then grab the 260 to buck the last smaller tree to top off the trailer load and youl think that weight difrence isnt as close as the paper specs make it seem.

026 260 is great all around limbing firewood saw .

mine wears a 3/8" 18" chain is muffler modded runs very good. it routienly bucks larger then bar sized wood. and is an absulute joy to limb with

I have a 361 my signifigant other is a 026 only use the 361 when I half to no complaints with the 026

Latest posts

Back