A little disappointed Husqvarna 435

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chas0218

Chas0218

ArboristSite Lurker
So I bought my 435 in 2010 not a bad little saw with a 16" bar. I use it probably monthly on different tasks more recently doing firewood. I love the thing nice light and plenty powerful enough for bucking up ash and various hardwoods. So we had some good winds here in NY about a week ago my cousin calls and has a smaller red oak that has been dead come down. I'm thinking good score for some already dried firewood. I get there and go through the usual starting ritual full choke turn over then nothing. I pulled on that thing for a solid 30 minutes changed plug was a little damp but not dripping wet pulled some more nothing. This saw has been more than reliable starting 3rd pull every time since new warm or cold. A little disappointed I drive home start doing the usual test for spark and what not. Everything checked out so the last thing I wanted to check was the compression. Low and behold 50psi. did a 2nd test with a little oil in the cylinder 51psi. Yup no compression and need a rebuild. Found a stuck ring scored jug and piston. Replaced with rebuild kit. I have an older Stihl 041AV that I'm getting up and running so if this happens again I have a 2nd saw I also have an old McCulloch that I ended up using to cut up the tree (that thing sucks and I know why I don't use very often).

So my question(s) are:
Should I mix it heavy on oil for the first tank, and run her easy?
Should I richen the mixture of the high mixture a little knowing it was a stuck ring?

Any help to prevent the stuck ring again would be greatly appreciated. Like I said I love this little saw and she has done her fair share of cutting and trimming.

dsell

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
You said it's done its fair share of work, so like Steve said, you've got to find out what caused it. It likely has an air leak somewhere or fuel line issue that leaned it out. No, don't mix the oil heavy. Yes, I run them a little rich on the first tank or two. You need to air test the saw.

Chas0218

Chas0218

ArboristSite Lurker
I think it was just used and abused for the $225 saw but I looked for air leaks put a little compressed air into the chamber and blocked the intake and exhaust and a little soapy water showed me nothing. I'm guessing it was too lean from factory. It ran like a raped date since the day I bought it. I didn't think about the crank seals although they went on pretty tight. I checked the carb boot and seals all seemed in good shape, no cracking. I'll turn out the high speed jet and see how she acts.

Chas0218

Chas0218

ArboristSite Lurker
It usually bogs out ill have to adjust it. The plug wasn't white and powdery but less brown than I would have liked. Never pulled the plug until it wouldn't start I guess I should've known better.

Should I do anything special or avoid anything on the first tank of of fuel?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Chas0218

Chas0218

ArboristSite Lurker
There was/is a TSB in regards to the carburetor.
Most likely your carb was the cause of the failure.
I had one of these, sold it as the new carb was worth more than the saw apparently.
Got a link? You know what serial numbers it pertained to? My s/n is: 2010 4200358. I know earlier models were very temperamental when it came to hot starts but I never had an issue with this saw maybe I ran it often enough to not have fuel issues. I have to say there isn't a place around me within 30 minutes that sell ethanol free gas so I have had to use that for its entire service life.

Adirondackstihl

Adirondackstihl

Flyz, Fuel & Fotos
Got a link? You know what serial numbers it pertained to? My s/n is: 2010 4200358. I know earlier models were very temperamental when it came to hot starts but I never had an issue with this saw maybe I ran it often enough to not have fuel issues. I have to say there isn't a place around me within 30 minutes that sell ethanol free gas so I have had to use that for its entire service life.
Nope
I found out by talking to a fellow member here who happens to be a Husqvarna dealer.
This was about 5yrs ago.
Sorry, no further info.

Ted Jenkins
I do not know how different they are from the 460s, but mine have proven to be bullet proof. I bought one in 2005 or close to it and they have been spot on. After the first then bought two more. The carbs need to come off to have the limiters removed and checked for crude in them and yes when new. The plugs must be looked at every few tanks of fuel period. To stick a ring with less than fifty tanks of fuel is wrong. Most likely some thing was over looked. Maintenance is a necessary evil that will bite unless you prepared. Thanks

Chas0218

Chas0218

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm planning on keeping this saw, I just got her back together the other night haven't fired it yet just pulled it over a couple times major difference in felt compression. My plan is to pick up a Jonsered 2252 to buck up rounds and use the 435 with to limb. I love this 435 and knowing now how to properly setup the carb she should live a much longer service life. She never "4 stroked" before so I think that might be where my problem lies.

Chas0218

Chas0218

ArboristSite Lurker
"Mights" are recipe for more cash out of pocket when it comes to a lean run condition. YMMV...
Very true, Have her running great now along with my old Stihl 041AV. Properly adjusted carb they both cut incredibly well.

I don't think you mentioned it or I missed it but did you check the fuel line for a crack?
I replaced those when it was apart. You want to talk about bad lines the Stihl I just fixed up were hard as heck and when I bent them to take them off the carb they snapped clean off.

a. palmer jr.
Very true, Have her running great now along with my old Stihl 041AV. Properly adjusted carb they both cut incredibly well.

I replaced those when it was apart. You want to talk about bad lines the Stihl I just fixed up were hard as heck and when I bent them to take them off the carb they snapped clean off.
That Stihl also is over 40 years old I imagine..

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
I would drive more than 30 minutes to get E-free.