A little trouble in the woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
I was out cutting with a friend yesterday and he finished before me. So, he came over to help with his 51 Rancher. I had my 920 and was going to show him how fast it can go through the wood. I have talked up this saw in comparison to his 51, so now was my chance to "show off". I hadn't run the saw for a couple of months, but it has always started up after sitting that long before.

Well, I brought it out and was going to start it when the dang pawls wouldn't catch.:cry: Not wanting to take any longer in the woods than necessary, I ended up having him try my 621 and I ran the 490 to finish up my load. He prefers the weight of the 51(of course).

I took it apart when I got home and for some reason, the pin that the pawls rotate on got a little rusty. A little WD40 and I was good to go. Note to self: check saws BEFORE I go cutting.

By contrast, I took out a 51 today for it's maiden voyage after a rebuild, and the sob wouldn't start, no spark. And of course it had spark on the bench grrrrr..

trimmmed said:
By contrast, I took out a 51 today for it's maiden voyage after a rebuild, and the sob wouldn't start, no spark. And of course it had spark on the bench grrrrr..

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to my world :monkey:
Andy

bama said:
I was out cutting with a friend yesterday and he finished before me. So, he came over to help with his 51 Rancher. I had my 920 and was going to show him how fast it can go through the wood. I have talked up this saw in comparison to his 51, so now was my chance to "show off". I hadn't run the saw for a couple of months, but it has always started up after sitting that long before.

Well, I brought it out and was going to start it when the dang pawls wouldn't catch.:cry: Not wanting to take any longer in the woods than necessary, I ended up having him try my 621 and I ran the 490 to finish up my load. He prefers the weight of the 51(of course).

I took it apart when I got home and for some reason, the pin that the pawls rotate on got a little rusty. A little WD40 and I was good to go. Note to self: check saws BEFORE I go cutting.

The worst is when the pawls are just slow to return back and you only miss on every other pull, or every third pull.

Starter catches for a few pulls then... misses the pawls. Hurts my elbow.

retoocs555 said:
The worst is when the pawls are just slow to return back and you only miss on every other pull, or every third pull.

Starter catches for a few pulls then... misses the pawls. Hurts my elbow.

That is sort of how it was acting. It wouldn't catch, then I would pull it real slow until I thought it would catch and then I would pull hard. Didn't work worth a :censored: and yes, it HURTS:cry:

Hey Scott, have you been working on any tractors lately?

sawinredneck said:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to my world :monkey:
Andy

Back in the day I would always start my saw(s) before leaving to be sure they would run. Now I just trust them but do have the fall back that I always have at least two with me and sometimes three.

Worst was going out to fall a big tree (about 36" dbh). Fired up the 041 befoe leaving, arrived, one pull and the starter destroyed itself. Nothing but expensive noises when I pulled the cord.

Harry K

A few years ago, I had driven down a pretty steep hill in the winter figuring when I filled the pickup with wood, I would have enough weight to drive back out(I usually have pretty used tires on my pickup). My truck is a 4x4 but the snow was slippery. I had made about half a dozen cuts when I turned off the saw to move some branches. Went to pull start it and the recoil spring broke. That was back in the days of no backup saw for me. It took me about an hour to get up that hill!

bama said:
Hey Scott, have you been working on any tractors lately?

Sadly it's been a year without tractors:mad:

I didn't run any of my 'buying junk tractors' adds. I did make it to a few auctions, got outbid on all the old project tractors, but did bring home a couple stihls one day and a pallet of random saws another.

It's been a really busy year working on old houses. I finished renovation and sold a nice cape, renovated a modest 3000 square foot victorian and turned it into some nice appartments, and just started working on another cape in August. Trying to finish all the exterior work right now and am running out of good weather.

I have seen lots of tractors at sales around here. There was a huge sale in North Dakota in September. The guy had about 600 tractors, many of them were old restorations. He would restore them and park them in his field by the road for everyone to see and enjoy. I wish I could have been there, but I don't think I could ever talk my wife into tractors as a new hobby. She barely tolerates my saw habit!

I didn't know you remodeled houses, too. I thought I was busy, but you must always be on the go!

Latest posts

Back