A lot of Refurbished chainsaws? Why Makita

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob gresko

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about all the refurbished Makita chain saws that are available on the web? Seems like an awlful lot are available -- I thought Makita/Dolmer had good saws?

I had heard that Home Depot was in the process of opening service centers for the equipment that they sell. There was also talk of someone from this site approaching one of the H/D rental stations about the availability of a 6400 only to be told that all the old units were going to their service center to be refurbed before sale? It doesnt seem like H/D has the same policy all across the US, but I do know most of the local Husky and Echo dealers dont want the warranty work on the H/D and Lowes sales here in Western Pa.

would you? would you really want to do the warranty free crap when you didn't make a dime off of the sale?
so a customer comes in and hands you a free repair, oh here you go.
i know i haven't bought a thing from you and not about to start, but
here fix it... NOT!!!!

Back in the 70's and early 80's I sold Remington and Husky. I did a lot of warranty work for Remington. They paid me in the late 70's about $13.00 an hour. I got saws from all kinds of stores.Fishers Big Wheel,Agway,Wards,deere and others. I averaged several dozen a week. I could not believe the stupid stuff. Chains on backwards,no gas ever in the tank.Simple Carb adjustments. Broken starter springs, and so on. I do not remember one of those saws having a major problem. I also did warranty at that time for their electric saws. I made good money fixing those saws.
Today may be different,but I did not make a lot of money selling saws. Aftermarket parts,sharpenings and repairs were where the bread and butter was. I can not imagine shops not being paid for warranty work today.The company backs the saw with the warranty,not the dealer. But I have been out of the saw business for almost 30 years ma-be things have changed.

Any reason, such as an "open box" would send the saw back to be refurbished. After that they are sold as refurbs- mine was pristine when received and was probably an "open box" saw. Runs as good as my 372!

Where are the saws?

Anyone know anything about all the refurbished Makita chain saws that are available on the web? Seems like an awlful lot are available -- I thought Makita/Dolmer had good saws?

Could you show me where all of these refurbs are being sold?:msp_w00t:

Back in the 70's and early 80's I sold Remington and Husky. I did a lot of warranty work for Remington. They paid me in the late 70's about $13.00 an hour. I got saws from all kinds of stores.Fishers Big Wheel,Agway,Wards,deere and others. I averaged several dozen a week. I could not believe the stupid stuff. Chains on backwards,no gas ever in the tank.Simple Carb adjustments. Broken starter springs, and so on. I do not remember one of those saws having a major problem. I also did warranty at that time for their electric saws. I made good money fixing those saws.
Today may be different,but I did not make a lot of money selling saws. Aftermarket parts,sharpenings and repairs were where the bread and butter was. I can not imagine shops not being paid for warranty work today.The company backs the saw with the warranty,not the dealer. But I have been out of the saw business for almost 30 years ma-be things have changed.

Very true... Never underestimate a person's ability to render an otherwise perfect saw inoperable...:msp_biggrin:

gun warranty

would you? would you really want to do the warranty free crap when you didn't make a dime off of the sale?
so a customer comes in and hands you a free repair, oh here you go.
i know i haven't bought a thing from you and not about to start, but
here fix it... NOT!!!!

Don't the shops get paid by the manufacturer for warranty work? I worked two years in a factory service center for most of the big name brand firearms, and we got paid for all sorts of warranty work, whether the customer bought it there or elsewhere.

Our best was case after case after case of S&W semis that some copshops had bought, and all needed new grips cuz they would crack and wedge against a spring in the handle. We knocked them things out fast for fifteen per. Easy money.

Back