Top Handle Makita Chainsaw Experiences?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent Vega

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm considering picking up the battery powered 12" Makita top handle saw (model XCU10Z) and am curious if anyone has first hand experience with this saw. Plan is to use it as an in-tree saw, with my 261 as the ground saw.

On paper it seems good, able to run a 3/8" chain, relatively high chain speed, and low weight (7 lbs with 5ah battery). Just not sure how the paper specifications translate to rear world experience.

I have that model, the single battery lxt platform top handle. You would want the dual battery top handle. But I only have a discontinued brushed reduction gear clumsy dual battery top handle one so no firsthand report. First off, the Makita platform only does cooling air on the charger so summer use likely is less than full battery capacity. That single battery one does have the time of no use or no holding the operator present lever before shutting off about right unlike the xcu03 rear handle. It is a shocking disappointment as to the power it has but over time, I have come to like it.

AS for the paper specifications. Might as well use the 6 amp hour 18 volt nominal (same as brandx 20 volt peak) battery as a newer 6ah one is actually lighter than the 5ah ones I have. Pick how much hp you want then you can figure out how much run time at that hp. Don't pay any attention to any advertised run times. Maybe it makes 0.7hp just a guess generous somewhere I read the xcu03 was 1.1 and it has 2 batteries. Alternatively you could run it empty as hard as possible and compute the hp. Of if you have a kil o watt meter just run it hard for a while and then see how much it takes to recharge.

i have the dual battery model. Id be interested in selling mine, now that they have come out with the flexvolt model. I havent used it but a couple of times, and i much prefer flexvolt batteries, since i have a dozen of them

I have the XCU06Z with the 5Ah battery and 10-in bar.
I got it with low expectations compared to Husky's T536Li, and expectations seem to be the key... I've been really pleasantly surprised for limbing.

Latest posts

Back