Top Handle Suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstang1988

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m just a a homeowner but enjoy saws. Rarely do I get to use them to do much but I found that I would benefit from a top handle recently to augment my other saws (346xp nmurph special, Makita 6401, Makita 9000, Milwaukee M18, and M18 pole saw). The top handle would be for branches in the trees (climbing) and would be the first time I do some climbing.

The echo 2511T sparked my interest given the light weight and stellar reviews. Any suggestions for modders for the saw? I really like the thought of battery saws, especially the T540ixp but the weight vs. speed trade doesn’t seem ideal on most of the affordable saws (i.e. Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, etc).

Any other gas saws folks believe I should consider?

I use a Husqvarna t435. Works just fine. Will it win any speed races? Not sure, I'm not a professional, so time isn't money to me... The echo 2511T looks interesting and I might give it a try one day, but I went with the 435 since it was 35cc. All I can say is don't over pay for a used Stihl 200T.

Might consider the baby one battery Makita. Not very powerful but quite handy.
The majority of what I cut is hardwood and it seems like the baby Makita is pretty anemic on torque.

I have been eyeing the M18 Hatchet as a possible solution but I’m not sold on an 8” bar with the 2511T can run a 12”.

Look at the Echo 2511T & 355T for gas top handle saws. Muffler Mods make both of those really come alive.

For battery top handle I'd look at Echo & Makita.

The hatchet style don't impress me at all.

The newer Echo battery top handle DCS2500 is supposed to cut as fast as a stock 2511T. Not cheap though.

The majority of what I cut is hardwood and it seems like the baby Makita is pretty anemic on torque.

I have been eyeing the M18 Hatchet as a possible solution but I’m not sold on an 8” bar with the 2511T can run a 12”.

It is direct drive not reduction gear.

I do not know what sort of climbing you have in mind. What sort of classes or books you have in mind what sort of risk factor. Man lift and pole saw perhaps.

Any other gas saws folks believe I should consider?
If you or the reader wishes to get a gasoline powered top handle you are welcome to consider the following,

Efco currently offers an inboard clutch 35cc chainsaw.

If you get one that can run .325 chain be it a rim drive conversion or spur and run the Nk bar with the full size chain your likelyhood of getting stuck should lessen about as much as possible.

Back