A lot of the maple trees in my area have the same problem but I don't know what it is

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfarrell71

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live on the south shore in MA and a lot of the maple trees in my area have the same symptoms as mine. The trunk is covered with a light green lichen (I think it's lichen), the leaves are spotty and yellowing- if they grow at all. There are branches that appear to have just broken off- I guess they're brittle. Some of the branches have either a thick coating of some kind of white mold or other growth. Others have a reddish growth blanketing them. I have seen trees that are much worse than mine. My brother-in-law's maple has not produced leaves in two years and his has the same symptoms as mine. He loses branches every time it's windy and so do I. What is wrong with this tree? I have heard that lichen is harmless. I have three maples on my property, all with the same problem- I don't want to lose them. Is this a tree disease? Or an insect problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We just bought the house (our first house) 4 months ago. I guess I never really noticed trees before! :cry:

Last edited:
I think lichens are harmless or symbiotic, but it sounds like you have other issues. Gloomy scale? fungus? Recent construction? Old trees or young? Pics will tell more of the story.

I figured out how to add photos. I'll get on this and post them so someone can maybe help figure out what the problem is! Thanks all

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back