A new (to me) chainsaw, thanks to a friend.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davej_07

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A good friend of mine gave me a Stihl ms310 today. He bought it about 6 years ago to demolish the old farmhouse where he was building his new home. He said It had light use in the last few years before he stopped burning and he has no use for it now. It came with a case and 20" bar with 4chains which he sharpened before he packed it away last time(he gave me his bench sharpener last year)
I tried this bad boy out tonight and all I can say is. DAAYUM!!!!!!

Great power and cut like buttah! Such a change from my poulan(hangs his head in shame)

All I can say is thanks buddy.......youre one of the good ones:bowdown:

Dave

ain't no shame

Great new saw! And there ain't no shame in running a poulan! If she cranks and cuts, that's all that counts! I spent the first..hmm..thirty five or so years cutting with ten and twenty buck el cheapo beat on used saws. Only since 2006 have I had a "new" saw and that one was the cheapest little husky they made at the time. Still run it, cuts fantastic. Last year I finally bought a new larger saw, an echo 600p. So that's my two saw plan now, but I have some working on the bench right now, but nothing really exotic or big. Frankly, I can't see nary a whisker's difference looking at some huskys and poulans taken down into parts. Dang near the same saws.

Like zogger said, there ain't no shame in runnin' a Poulan, but...

Back in the early 80's all dad and I had ever owned, or ran, were Poulan's, Mac's, Homelite's, Sears/Craftsman and the like. One day a "tree service" type guy from out-of-town stopped at the dealership in need of some repairs on his pick-up that turned out quite expensive, and we collected most all his pocket cash for the repair. Anyway, he and I talked quite a bit, sort'a hit-it-off... and turns out he was gonna' stop at his father-in-laws, that lived in the next town, to try and borrow some cash-for-gas so he could get home.

Well, like I said... I kind'a liked the guy... so I offered to lend him some gas money... after all, I'd wasted more than that just spending a night in the bars. He looks at me sort'a funny like... walks over to his truck and pulls a clean lookin' Stihl 024AV Super from the tool box, starts it second pull, shuts it down, sets it at my feet, and says, "hundred bucks?" So..... I hand him a C-note, shake hands and part ways.

That little 024 ruined my taste for big-box-store type saws... the difference in power-to-weight, balance, vibration, comfort, sound level, and whatnot... ruined my dads taste for 'em also... We've bought nothing but Stihl ever since (never ran a Husky, can't speak to them). I noticed last summer that dad still had a yellow saw case in the garage rafters and I asked him 'bout it, - "yeah, there's still a Mac in there but I ain't even opened that case in twenty years." I sold off my last Poulan in the early 90's.

Great Buy!

The MS 310 and the MS 290 saws are identical in construction with the exception that the 310 has a larger piston and cylinder. I've worked on an MS 290 and found that to be a terrific saw for the money. So, you may have hit the jackpot. He gave it to you? Better buy him a few shares of some John Deere stock.

Congratulations! :msp_biggrin:

He gave it to me with one stipulation.........that I come cut up any storm damage he my get. That's fine seeing as there is one large silver maple on his property, everything else is newer planted trees.

Dave

poulan?

he said it was a stihl.

nice score, man.

He said in his post the gifted stihl was an upgrade from his poulan then he "hung his head in shame" for running the poulan. I told him no shame in running a poulan..or any saw that cranks and cuts. Heck, my first saw was a ten buck Cox with the left hand side suicide bar. It ran all the time. I cut tons of wood with it. At the time I cut all my personal wood with a sandvik bowsaw, but wood I sold I used a chainsaw.

I finally killed it trying to run it on nitromethane (model airplane fuel..hey, it said cox on it, what did I know...). It ran a little too good..had to bury it in a gravel parking lot to get it to stop before it blew up. ;) I think it hit around..ONE BUHZILLION rpm for a second there...

When it comes to chainsaws, you can run whatever you have in ignorant bliss until someone hands you a better one to run. You could live your whole life without knowing any better

Flippies Have Their Moments

Yes, flippy caps.......I'm not sure if I like them or not yet......but I'll tolerate them if I don't. :smile2:
Dave
They seem to work OK and then suddenly they get hung up or the retainer pops out. My biggest gripe is that the flippy will sometimes hold in place and not be all the way down, going unnoticed by the operator. Then it will pop out suddenly while the saw is running and spill either fuel or oil all over the place. On one occasion it took me over five frustrating minutes to get the bar oil flippy to seat properly. :censored:

I estimate there have been nearly 1000 posts on flippies in the chain saw threads. Perhaps the best way to use them is to always double check the orientation every time you refuel and/or add bar oil.

My 310 has been a great saw. You should port the muffler it'll really wake it up. Flippy caps aren't the greatest invention ever. I've broken 2 of mine already, now I have one in the tool box just in case.:msp_unsure:

Back