A newbee with a lot of questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilb93

Reaction score
Looking to get into the tree (removal-Trimming business) I have some equipment already. Would really not like to climb. Have a 15 ton terex boom crane with a 2 man platform that will only go to 100ft. Have a grove manlift to 46'. and a asplundh chipper truck with a lift to 55'.
Have many done a lot of work out of buckets rather than climb??

I understand that there will be times that you have to climb, and I will pass on those.

Do any one on here just use bucket lifts for a lot of there business.
Thanks

You can do it!!

"only go 100 feet!?" Thats high enough on your Terex!! :popcorn:
I have an Alltec 55 footer and I do everything with it..... haven't climbed the first tree in probably six years!! Just your bucket truck will do all you want.... and i've only gave up maybe 5 jobs in 5 years from not wanting to climb... Hope this helps!! :greenchainsaw:

Personally, I would suggest gaining some insight on climbing, I know alot of Non-climbing bucket tree guys & their thought of as other than professional.

This is one thing kinda ruining the trade & if you really "Love" this work & not doing it to make a quick buck, then gain some knowledge by learning!!

everyone today wants to jump out on their own & they dont have the skills needed to do such!! Not even close. It will take more than a hand full of fancy equipment, that T-rex & Grove will be worthless in most situations, those machines are more for construction site work not tree work, Plus they are very heavy machines!!!!

When I started if you couldnt climb you didnt run a bucket, Now its a different story, In some instances I dont mind cause if it needs climbed then that weeds out all the wannabes!! but its usually some big, dead ugly thing.

Dont just jump into tree work, LEARN first.....dont be a wannabe 1/2 azzed tree trimmer, become well rounded 1st...this will take time but well worth it!!

LXT................

Whether or not a bucket alone will suffice your business depends on the kind of business you decide to build, the clientel you wish to serve and the geographic area in which you live. Only you can answer this question - not someone on this site who lives in another area and serves a different clientel.

That said, if you will be working in a relatively flat, wide open area with alley access to back yards, the equipment you mentioned will likely suit you fine for most of the jobs you come accross. When I started out, I knew how to climb but only had to do so on a few jobs. We used a bucket and small crane for most of the work because I felt it was faster and safer.

However, if you will be working in a heavily forested, hilly area with very limited or no access to most yards by truck...well, do I need to spell it out for you? You will have to learn how to climb or be willing to pass on a lot of work. This advice of course, isn't even taking into account the need to learn about the basic biology of trees and to learn how to properly care for them accordingly as well as how to work safely with tree equipment and around overhead powerlines.

Take this advice from someone who's done both tree work and landscaping - if you're not going to get the appropriate training and just want to put some equipment to work to make a quick buck, then sell your crane and bucket truck and invest in some landscaping equipment. It's not that the landscaping industry needs any more hacks than the tree care industry but, I'd rather see you mess up someones landscape and live to see another day than mess up on a tree removal and end up in a pine box...

Money is never worth your life. Money is never worth your life. Money is NEVER worth your life...............................................think about it.

that's ok if you can get to the tree but if you do not climb it mite be tuff to get back yard jobs thats wear most of the $$$$ is tom trees

I never said that I didn't know how to climb....I just don't like to the majority of the time! LOL!!! I think we're all three miles off of the subject of the original post! I think he just wanted to know what we charged!!!! :cheers: LOL!!!

Last edited:
Back