A Newbies first 60 days on AS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savaging

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
About 60 days ago I had problems firing up my old 42cc Craftsman saw that I've used for the last 9 years to cut firewood. I used to get about 3 cords per year for myself and a buddy and our circle of firewood friends has grown over time and we've started earlier each year and increased our haul each year. Bottom line is we enjoy it and any excuse to get out in nature for a weekend and cut some firewood is good enough to head out. So when the saw started giving me problems I jumped on the net to diagnose the issue and discovered AS...and now I'm a different man.
At first I trolled as a guest and learned a whole lot from the knowledge centered on this site. By using the search tool I discovered I owned a Crapsman chainsaw that is made by Poulan and is considered a homeowners saw. I learned that removing the muffler allowed me a quick view of the piston/rings of the saw to see if there were any issues. Alas, my old saw had siezed. And the first symptoms of CAD kicked in. Of course I was in total denial because I needed to replace my broken saw........and I welcomed a 550xp into the house.
A quick review of the 550...WOW. I repeat, WOW. It is my first pro saw but this little bugger flat gets it. Runs clean (I've been around 2-strokes my whole life so I am qualified to make that call) and doesn't quit. I'm 5 tanks in over the last week and it keeps getting better. No starting problems hot or cold thanks to the information from you all.
While waiting for the 550 (and continuing to gather info from AS) I figured I really need a second saw....one that is a little larger. Still not CAD. I don't have a problem. So I contacted nmurph and I'm in the process of getting a 372xp with a mm and gasket delete from him. I've still got about 3 weeks of cutting time here out west before we close down for the winter months so I'll be exercising that saw soon.
This past weekend I figured I really need a limbing saw to maximize the efficiency of my other felling and bucking saws. Not CAD. Heck no. I NEED this saw to do what I do. We'll see how my better half deals with this purchase.....
As a final note, I learned a lot about safety from you all. There are lots of threads about working on saws and increasing their performance but it is mixed with messages of safety...both protective gear and learning how to work with a chainsaw safely. I appreciate that and I've changed the way I work in the field. Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back