A niche market in the tree service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JS Landscaping

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, been kickin around some ideas for next year, and one of them would be to go back out on my own into the tree business, but more twards a specialty market, Tree preservation/tree surgeon style work. Thinking about going more twards the fine pruning, proper trimming and tree preservation work, including cabling, both static and dynamic systems. Looking to get my ISA certification very soon, been studying and trying to learn as much as I can. Just wondering if you think it would be feasable, to be more focused twards the care of trees, and not doing removals or any of the heavy removal, lot clearing end of things. I figure the over head would be less, with not having to have as large of chippers, log trucks, ect. I have already been in the landscape business previously, decided to get out of it and focus more on tree work, since thats what I enjoy. Do you think its possible to create a 'niche' market in this field? Just thought id run it by you guys. Any comments/feed back are apreciated! Thanks!

JS, unless you are well versed in this field there will be many who will already have an advantage over you!

what you are talking about doing is what most are doing Now, honestly my bread & butter is in the removal dept. & its usually ugly & something I can get my Genie too.....this is what sets me apart from the others! it allows me to do what they cant or dont want to....for now!

niche marketing in tree care is dependant upon what your area will allow you to do, where im at the upperclass folks want proper tree care, fertilization programs & are concerned about the health, looks & hazards, were as the lower income folks have the same concerns but not the finances...so its usually remove it or have someone "top" it!....all depends!

good luck!

LXT..............

The upperclass demographics, and the people who want the proper tree care done for thier trees is what Id mainly be aiming for. I mean removals are a lota fun dont get me wrong, but it seems like everyone and anyone is doing it now. Looking to push the proper arbor-culture way of things to those who want it, and maybe educate a few along the way what the right way of tree care is. It would be a part time venture to start out, and I would still stay with the current tree company Im working for. All we mainly do is removals, and ive been kinda missing the higher end tree care. I plan on being fully insured and licenced. Just hate seeing hack job tree work, and people accepting it as its ok. Just an idea for right now...but thanks for the imput!

The higher end market is where this type of work can be supported, you may need to phase your way into it since it takes a while to build a clientele.

300 $1000/day clients on a 3 year cycle will gross you $100,000 a year.

on a 200 day budget that leaves you with 100 days to fill in with smaller jobs and removals.

an average of 4 days a week for 50 weeks gives you 200 working days. Very realistic for a micro company with an owner and 1 or 2 workers.

Do you have any landscape clients that you could get some tree work from now?

Looks like you are young, so building it up from scratch is not a big deal.

This was my business plan as well.

No one in our area trims w/out spikes and only two other companies have CA's. My partner just took his CA exam this weekend and assuming he passes we'll be pushing that next year in our ads. Personally, I really get into removals and would rather limit our trim jobs but it's a marketing strategy we're currently using to get some recognition in the community. I think what you need to look for is how many other companies in your area offer the services that you want to provide. If you determine that not enough do, than go for it.

I had a total of 70 weekly maintenance accounts at the height of my business, but when I shut down and went to work for the first tree service, I referred them to other reputable landscaping companies in the area. I guess I could re-contact with my former clients by letters or in person, since I still have all addresses and contact info from when I was in business. Its definitely something I plan on easing into, and doing it right, if I decide to give it a shot. The entrepreneurial itch doesnt go away too easy.

The entrepreneurial itch doesnt go away too easy.

Mine manifests as a pain in the but ;)

Personally, I really get into removals and would rather limit our trim jobs

Short term thinking, if you can get large properties in a cycle they are revolving accounts that offer a high probability for revenue.

Where with removals you have to get the lead before you can do the estimate, you can schedule the next sessions work before you leave the site ehen the work has ended.

"We'll be out in winter to deadwood those red oaks Mr Smith! I'll give you a call a few days before to let you know when."

"I can call you next year so we can get into the next five trees, these should be good for three years. It went faster then I expected, so I added the silver maple on the right for the same price, just like we were working on a time and material budget."

Make sure they are on your Christmas card ( or Chanukkah for the Ivret delegation) get a deal with a restaurant you like and get gift cards. Some will make deals for bulk purchases that get them new business....

Thanks for the advice guys. Im heavily considering going for this in the spring as I am building up my own personal arsenal of tree equipment. The company I work for now is great, we have the top of the line equipment, but our climbing is limited and its mainly all bucket work, probably only get to climb a few times a week. 90% is removals, and to tell you the truth, i miss the spikeless climbing and pruning, high end trim jobs and the more technical tree preservation work. Hence the reason why Im considering going out on my own part time to start and seeing what I can do with it. I dont think I would be taking any work away from my current boss, due to the nature of tree work im leaning twards. Hes a great guy to work for, but not too knowledgable about tree work, doesnt know how to climb or fly a bucket, or really do tree work or what is involved in some of the jobs, time wise. I guess you could say im just missing the climbing and technical end that I used to do at the company I worked for previously. So im hoping that starting out on my own will cure that, and Ill be doing the work I enjoy most, and solving that entrepenurial bug. Thanks again guys!

Mine manifests as a pain in the but ;)

Short term thinking, if you can get large properties in a cycle they are revolving accounts that offer a high probability for revenue.

Where with removals you have to get the lead before you can do the estimate, you can schedule the next sessions work before you leave the site ehen the work has ended.

"We'll be out in winter to deadwood those red oaks Mr Smith! I'll give you a call a few days before to let you know when."

"I can call you next year so we can get into the next five trees, these should be good for three years. It went faster then I expected, so I added the silver maple on the right for the same price, just like we were working on a time and material budget."

Make sure they are on your Christmas card ( or Chanukkah for the Ivret delegation) get a deal with a restaurant you like and get gift cards. Some will make deals for bulk purchases that get them new business....

No doubt that strictly trimming can be very profitable if done correctly, I was only saying that I like takedowns much more. Just a personal thing.

Back