A PC as a tachometer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I proposed this idea in the Hotsaw forum and was b!tchslapped by the respondents.

That's because if someone went about the tuning process as methodically and quantitatively as possible, had the skill to hold the saw to optimal RPM, and get their hands on an excellent race chain, they'd have their azz handed to them in a race. :)

That's because if someone went about the tuning process as methodically and quantitatively as possible, had the skill to hold the saw to optimal RPM, and get their hands on an excellent race chain, they'd have their azz handed to them in a race. :)

Yup. I am perfectly sure the others who posted negatively to the idea of saw dyno's being used to develop the maximum power of an engine and then chassis test it are on the right track.

But then I wonder if the good folks in NASCAR, NSRA, NBRA, NHRA, Indy, Formula 1, SCCA, APBA and others who use internal combustion engines are all backward thinking, know-nothing knuckle-draggers? Maybe those folks should get on some of those forums and tell them everything they know about how to develop race-winning motors and vehicles? I am positive they'd like to hear from such progressive thinkers. I mean, they aren't racing the dyno, are they? All that testing is a joke right? Just a waste of time?

Last edited:
Yup. You are exactly correct, and I am perfectly sure you and the others who posted negatively to the idea of saw dyno's being used to develop the maximum power of an engine and then chassis test it are on the right track.

I hope you aren't lumping me in with the naysayers. By "they" in my last post, I was referring to those who poo-pooed using a controlled pressure tool to tune. If I raced, I would be all over using every tool I had within my grasp to assist my skill that kicking my opponent's butt. But alas, I don't race.

Last edited:
I hope you aren't lumping me in with the naysayers. By "they" in my last post, I was referring to those who poo-pooed using a controlled pressure tool to tune. If I raced, I would be all over using every tool I had within my grasp to assist my skill that kicking my opponent's butt. But alas, I don't race.

I apologize: after being rudely smacked around, I failed to grasp that you were writing sarcastically. I changed it.

I apologize: after being rudely smacked around, I failed to grasp that you were writing sarcastically. I changed it.

No problem... What kind of chemist are you? I'm an analytical type myself. (Imagine that, given this thread.)

Great minds think alike: started on the medical track with undergrad in biochem and molecular bio, then went to environmental with an emphasis on heavy metals, so most of my research were analytical methods.

Back