A Productive morning so far (not)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
B_turner said:
I was just looking out the back window onto the garden and what is left of the pumkin patch.

Suddenly it seems like a good test for how sharp a chain is would be slicing up pumpkins. Told my wife I was going to sacrifice some pumpkins to see her reaction and she says well I wouldn't use your newest saw first until you see how much a mess it makes.

I choose to interpret that as an official release on the pumpkins. I think I'll try it this morning and if interesting pics may follow.

Didn't want to hijack a thread so I repeated my last post in this new posting.

Definitely for those with not enough to do today.
7868.jpg

And more shear excitement:

Last edited:
7905.jpg

Pumpkins were pretty soft, but thanks to a sharp square ground chain and veggie oil, pumpkin pie is on the way:clap:

Now I have to go clean up some saws.

Few more pumpkin pics:

Last edited:
I learned the answer to one burning question, though.

Q. What is the best saw to cut up old pumpkins?

A. Someone elses.

First and last time for this trial. Cleanup more of an issue than I had expected. But I've got to say the 7900 pulled the 28 inch bar pretty well.

B_Turner said:
I learned the answer to one burning question, though.

Q. What is the best saw to cut up old pumpkins?

A. Someone elses.

First and last time for this trial. Cleanup more of an issue than I had expected. But I've got to say the 7900 pulled the 28 inch bar pretty well.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
LOLOL!!!
(Ya milling the green one for floor tiles?)

On an almost serious note, the original thought of my pumpkin carving was to test cutting of round chisel and square chisel and semi-chisel on soft material. I probably should have bailed when I saw how soft the pumpkins were.

I definitely did observed that I got the cleanest cut with full comp square ground, with the more rpm the better. Actually given the :pumpkin2: :pumpkin2: were so soft, I was pretty impressed with how good the cutting action was.

B_Turner said:
Gary, that's a cute setup. Perfectly pumpkin sized, I'd say.

I really did mill with it.

Here is what I milled with it. (see pic) small dia Post Oak.

Last edited:
Trigger-Time said:
I really did mill with it.

Here is what I milled with it. (see pic) small dia Post Oak.

After I looked at your pic a while, I could see the log that you were cutting. The fact you are really using that setup is part of what made it so cute looking. I like it!

Last edited:
Trigger-Time said:
But after what you did, I can't wait until summer

WATERMELONS :hmm3grin2orange:

I think watermelons would be great, because they don't have the stringy stuff in the center like the pumpkins. That was what got thrown around.

I think putting a watermelon in the freezer and then cutting it up paper thin would be cool.

But after the pumpkin mess, I think I'll wait for your pics this summer.

B_Turner said:
I think watermelons would be great, because they don't have the stringy stuff in the center like the pumpkins. That was what got thrown around.

I think putting a watermelon in the freezer and then cutting it up paper thin would be cool.

But after the pumpkin mess, I think I'll wait for your pics this summer.

That mite be a job for my husky 335xpt.
Or I mite go buy a $50 saw, for a afternoon of fun, then
sell it on E-bay for $125 as a super duper food processor

Trigger-Time said:
That mite be a job for my husky 335xpt.
Or I mite go buy a $50 saw, for a afternoon of fun, then
sell it on E-bay for $125 as a super duper food processor

Gary,

Buy a $50 saw, go to a book signing and have Rachel Ray or Martha Stuart sign the bar of the saw and then sell it on ebay as a celebrity super duper food processor for a fortune. Some museum would probaby just have to have it.

Or call Oprah W. and get on one of her "what to get for the cook that has everything" shows and sit back and wait for the calls.

You mite need to put together a video of all the kind of things it is good for in the kitchen. "It slices it dices showstring potatoes are a snap. Struggling to cut the Thanksgiving turkey is a thing of the past." Something like that.

7928.jpg

To tie this thread to the discussion on Stihl sprocket covers, this scientific trial offerred more evidence that the "taller" covers of the full wrap stihl provide additional protection (as compared to the half wrap cover) from pumpkin shavings. (PIc is 066 full wrap)

B_Turner said:
7928.jpg

To tie this thread to the discussion on Stihl sprocket covers, this scientific trial offerred more evidence that the "taller" covers of the full wrap stihl provide additional protection (as compared to the half wrap cover) from pumpkin shavings. (PIc is 066 full wrap)

This definitely is a west coast thing.:clap:

Latest posts

Back