A question for Saw Mod guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't own a modded saw, but as a casual observer on AS, I haven't heard of any problems to speak of with them; it's actually more the new and stock saw owners who are reporting issues. To the OP's question, manufacturers have to design to EPA regs and owner abuse that saw builders typically don't have to deal with. Modded saws are simply a good idea because they're more fun, have superior power/weight ratios, and allow the operator to exit the danger zone quicker.

when saws are modded does that mean the same thing as they went to banned camp? someone fill me in on these ported saws you speak of. monkeys,saws ,grinders,porting,wheewww sounds like a weird frat party. ..... so where do I sign up.

Perhaps have a think about other engines, some have huge scope for improvement, others only a little.

Just quickly -

A naturally aspirated petrol car engine can usually gain only 5-10% with simple tuning mods, but even doing this will require pushing the timing closer to detonation and you will need to be fussy about the fuel that goes in it.
A turbo diesel motor can usually gain 30%, but push it hard and hot and the exhaust valves burn up.
Turbo petrol, gains vary greatly but 10%-30% is typical and easy, but you must live with the detonation risks as you wind up the boost.
Bigger gains than this are usually just moving the power curve higher in the rev range and require major changes to engines and supporting systems.
In some of these cases drivability would suffer, more top end power at the expense of low end torque for example.
Noise and pollution rises - both things that are regulated for a manufacturer.

Now if you look at mega buck cars, well, I cant imagine you can turn the wick up on a bugatti veyron and expect much more. And thats the cost point, chainsaws are cheap.
The prices that modifiers here charge - if added to the wholesale cost of a saw would double the price of a new saw. And that would just cover the "blueprinting" aspect cleaning up the castings, setting squish, port matching, etc. This MIGHT gain another 10%, would you pay twice as much for a saw that got 10% extra power? Without muffler mods and staying within exhaust emission limits I doubt that any more than that could be likely. And you'd have a saw that could ONLY run on decent quality fuel, stale low octane stuff would be a recipe for disaster.

I'm just talking basic physics and manufacturing realities, experienced tuners would no doubt have specific examples that contradict what I've said, but as a wild generalisation this is true across all examples of the internal combustion engine I think its fair.

what is porting a saw ?

I ain't sure.......but be sure you let me know how that finger ported hybrid runs when it lands in Washington. :msp_wink:

when saws are modded does that mean the same thing as they went to banned camp? someone fill me in on these ported saws you speak of. monkeys,saws ,grinders,porting,wheewww sounds like a weird frat party. ..... so where do I sign up.

Dem alumirum chips is makin you silly. :msp_sad:

Perhaps have a think about other engines, some have huge scope for improvement, others only a little.

Just quickly -

A naturally aspirated petrol car engine can usually gain only 5-10% with simple tuning mods, but even doing this will require pushing the timing closer to detonation and you will need to be fussy about the fuel that goes in it.
A turbo diesel motor can usually gain 30%, but push it hard and hot and the exhaust valves burn up.
Turbo petrol, gains vary greatly but 10%-30% is typical and easy, but you must live with the detonation risks as you wind up the boost.
Bigger gains than this are usually just moving the power curve higher in the rev range and require major changes to engines and supporting systems.
In some of these cases drivability would suffer, more top end power at the expense of low end torque for example.
Noise and pollution rises - both things that are regulated for a manufacturer.

Now if you look at mega buck cars, well, I cant imagine you can turn the wick up on a bugatti veyron and expect much more. And thats the cost point, chainsaws are cheap.
The prices that modifiers here charge - if added to the wholesale cost of a saw would double the price of a new saw. And that would just cover the "blueprinting" aspect cleaning up the castings, setting squish, port matching, etc. This MIGHT gain another 10%, would you pay twice as much for a saw that got 10% extra power? Without muffler mods and staying within exhaust emission limits I doubt that any more than that could be likely. And you'd have a saw that could ONLY run on decent quality fuel, stale low octane stuff would be a recipe for disaster.

I'm just talking basic physics and manufacturing realities, experienced tuners would no doubt have specific examples that contradict what I've said, but as a wild generalisation this is true across all examples of the internal combustion engine I think its fair.

If the modders there are only getting about a 10% gain.....I see why I send so many saws to OZ now. :laugh:

Supposedly, a MM'd and ported saw allows you to cut wood faster.

Rather than spend the time, effort and all the money on my saw(s), I'll just get up and out of bed and start an hour or two earlier. :msp_wink:

A well ported saw can but more wood on the truck per day in the hands of a skilled operator.

That said, most guys can cut more wood in a few hours with a Mini Mac than they really want to handle. :laugh:

Bottom line........Ported saws are fun to run......

A well ported saw can but more wood on the truck per day in the hands of a skilled operator.

That said, most guys can cut more wood in a few hours with a Mini Mac than they really want to handle. :laugh:

So true, So true!:msp_wink:

If the modders there are only getting about a 10% gain.....I see why I send so many saws to OZ now. :laugh:

I may not have been clear, I was trying to imagine a modded saw that still complied with emission and noise standards. So a massive geusstimation factor as no modded saw ever gets its emissions tested.

Ain't that the truth! I love to cut wood it's all that crap that you have to do with it after you cut it I hate. It's like hunting....I love to shoot stuff,just hate everything that comes after the arrow connects. :bang:

are there any axe modders in here ? i would sure like to speed up that part of my firewood work :D

I may not have been clear, I was trying to imagine a modded saw that still complied with emission and noise standards. So a massive geusstimation factor as no modded saw ever gets its emissions tested.

The site sponsor Baileys used to sell a ported 372xp called a Univent. They were built by a company called Unifire in Spokane Washington that makes fire and rescue equipment. Great saw. My only regret was not purchasing two of them. I think Unifire is still in business. You could give them a call or email them and ask if their saw are EPA/OSHA compliant. I would bet you a plugged nickel that they are.

Latest posts

Back