a really sick maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvantil

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have a large maple that seems to really sick in many different ways. It began seeding heavily in early July, there are insect holes all over the tree, there seems to be a green fungus growing on many of the branches, and several limbs are dead and dying. Is there any way we can save this tree?

I will attach a photo to this message and other photos to replies (if possible).

Any suggestions would be welcome.

dvantil

the whole tree

here's a shot of the whole tree

dvantil

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

The last picture does more to shed light on whats going on than any of the others! It's whole root system is covered or been cut up! It's best to not build or dig within the dripline of the tree, maybe the garage was built first? But that portable garage needs to go. Parking there compacts the soil and any oil or gas leaks etc. contaminate the soil, it's also not getting the same amount of moisture it used to in the soil.
The lichens (not moss) is nothing to worry about, the canopy actually looks decent besides the off color. Dead limbs inside a thick canopy are normal as sometimes there isn't enough light to support them. The spot with the holes are kinda concerning though, it shows that there is some internal rot, nothing you can do about that except keep the tree happy by mulching instead of parking under it. Was there a drought in your area this year? or the last couple?

Just looked again, hard to tell but that looks like an Oak?

i agree with Todd

It sure looks like oak leaves growing on your maple tree, maybe you should have that looked into.:D The form of the trunk and canopy looks like an oak as opposed to a maple.

What do the "seeds" look like that it dropped?

I see the maple leaves on the fungus shot, and like todd said the last picture tells the whole sad story.

You have an urban tree, which means:

• limited rooting area
    compacted soil
    drought stress

All that considered your tree is typical of any urban tree anywhere. The damage from insects though should be looked at by a professional in your area.

Back