A Stihl is back in my arsenal! Craigslist score that needs a little help...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So do ya think its an air leak? lol. Thanks for the confirmation. I was hoping it wasnt a seal but if I cant slow the idle down plus it likes the choke on to start which is another tell. Dang. I'm not sure I'm up for replacing seals yet. Looks like my local stihl dealer is gonna get some business. Have I mentioned how much I like my newer 346xp and Dolmar lately?:) I like cuttting wood in my free time more than working on saws!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Mark, lets start with setting the H & L screws at 1 turn CCW from lightly seated (CW). Should fire at that and run good enough to be able to tune it. If you're having to turn the L out 2 turns, it sounds like an air leak. Think about it, you're adding fuel to make up for extra air coming in somewhere. First thing to do would be getting new fuel and impulse lines. I do this with any older saw. Ethanol is hell on the old lines. There's been improvements in the rubber on the new lines to help prevent the ethanol from eating them.

If you're turning the saw on its side, and it increases idle speed, thats most likely a crank seal. I'm not sure on the 024's, but the 026 is known for one of the seals going out (cant remember which side).

I bought a Mityvac a while ago and it sure helps diagnosing these problems. Wish I lived near you, I'd help. I'm sure procarbine will get your little Stihl sorted out.

Had a few hrs this a.m. to take those lines off(how do I get that impulse off?) and I think I've found my problem. One of the head bolts is missing...but don't worry because the others were finger tight so I'm sure no air could get thru there...WTF?!!!?

HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?! only my luck...

So I'm needing a head bold and some some lines. I can only guess what else I'll need!
I'm in deep now!

Who is the local shop? PM me if ya want, I was just curious...

Honestly, I've not had to use a local shop until now. I've got parts coming through shearer equipment. My Dad's been real happy with M&M in Ashland but they're a bit of a drive for me. Hopefully some lines and a bolt and I'll be back in business!

Ok, just wanted to update the thread before I hit the sack...I was finally able to pick up the parts and get out to the shop. Its amazing what a fourth 99 cent head bolt will do for a saws performance! :rock: It tuned up just fine and runs great! Thanks to all who helped me work through the problem seeing that it was cleary an air issue getting through rather than fuel which is usually what I've dealt with with quads/dirtbikes/vehicles through the years. After tackling this with your help and the service manual(thanks mheim!) I'm not as 'scared" to open up a saw as I was a week ago and learned alot about their operation in the process! Forums are great for this because of you guys! I'd rep ya more but I'm outta bullets!

Latest posts

Back