A Stihl MS 361 Story...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood Doctor
...that needs to be told.

An old friend down the road and his buddy called me to help with a big bur oak tree that blew down last Monday in an early spring storm. The 70-year old tree broke off 25' up and left the trunk standing like a proud ____.

So, I sharpened up the 361 and headed over. I used the Echo 3900 to limb out the rest of the branches into 22" lengths and then dropped the big honker 24 inches up from the buttress roots, leaving behind the stump. Well, that 34" dia. stump was solid as a rock, so I said, "Shucks, we can't give that away to the stump grinder. Let's save it and heat with it next year."

They laughed and said, "OK, Doc, let her rip."

I chopped off the buttress roots first and then went all the way around, adding a couple of felling wedges in the kerf to fight the pinch. Then I turned off the saw, kicked out the wedges and said, "OK, men, flip her off and roll her to the splitter. She's all yours."

Two big guys, (total weight = 600 lb) leaned against that stump. No movement. Then they pushed and shoved again. No movement. Finally, one said, "Edwin, you must have left a chunk in the center. We can't budge it."

I replied, "Yep. That's right. Looks like you can't. It's a horse. But, my Stihl says that bur oak stump is free and clear."

So, I went and got a long-handle shovel. They pushed again, and I pryed up at the same time, wedged in a small log, pryed again and guess what? We finally flipped the stump aside so I could count the annular rings. After they got their breath, one of them asked, "Edwin, good grief, how much does that monster weigh?"

I replied, "I'll post it and see what the Chainsaw forum has to say."

You are all on. How much did that beast weigh? Hints: (1) I had to noodle it in half before we could even drag it to the big hydraulic splitter, and (2) the tree was alive before the storm snapped it in half. The oak is green.

Everyone around here wants to know the consensus on this weight.

spacemule

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
I get 876 pounds, assuming a cylindrical block of wood 34" x 24" and a wood weight of 69.56 pounds per cubic foot. A lot of numbers to keep straight though, and I probably hit something wrong, cause that sounds awful damned heavy! :cheers:

Wood Doctor
I get 876 pounds, assuming a cylindrical block of wood 34" x 24" and a wood weight of 69.56 pounds per cubic foot. A lot of numbers to keep straight though, and I probably hit something wrong, cause that sounds awful damned heavy! :cheers:

Well, Spacemule may be the closest so far. The table in the link I posted above says 397 lb/ft for red oak at 34" dia. So double that and I get 794 lb, assuming the table is measuring seasoned, dry red oak. This tree was still alive and healthy last year, so the roots were still feeding it water and just starting in this spring. Early spring means that it probably would have weighed even more by mid-June--figure another 100 lb possible.

I'm guessing the 361 and I sawed 800 lb in half with a bunch of noodles and that left us 400 lb half moons minus the noodles. 'Course, I could be wrong. Any more estimates?

Men, my back aches. ;)

Maybe next time I'll outfit the 361 with a 28" bar and try to take it a little easier.

Last edited:
Wood Doctor
I thought you would have weighed the pieces after splitting it up. So there is no answer to this post:confused::buttkick::)
Brad, we didn't have a scale handy that was that big. One of my buddies in the group is 6-6 and about 350 lb. My third friend is 5-8 and 250. I'm the shrimp at 6-2 and 200.

There was no way we could move that round. I ended up sawing three more in half to get them to the splitter. Noodles were everyehere. My legs and back are still stiff after two days of rest.

The landowner told me that this tree was just a teenager. I dug up this picture to show you how big this species can get:
jim-burr-oak.jpg

Latest posts