A Tale of Two 288's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive wondered why saws dont come with some sort of manual ignition timing lever, like a cam or something, that would advance and retard for easier starting then better running.

I know they can do that now with electronics and digital ignitions (like the new echoes have), just wondering why the idea never caught on with saws.

I believe many chainsaws already do that. Nothing new there.

Yep. Many of the OLD saws had adjustable timing. Last November I ran a sweet Wright C70 at our GTG. It had a lever for adjusting the timing. There was a 'start' and 'run' setting IIRC.

Model Profile: C70

Just dredging up some gold from the site. Had to bump this one so the new search engine can find it...

Love the thread. Watched your video on YouTube MANY times, hoping that one day my 288 will run like that.o
Had a few questions if you have the time.
1: how did you make the rollers for the carb? Mine is in need of a new one.
2: what do the porting numbers mean? mm's, degrees? I'm clueless.
P.s.: hope I don't make nobody mad for bringing up an old thread.

Love the thread. Watched your video on YouTube MANY times, hoping that one day my 288 will run like that.o
Had a few questions if you have the time.
1: how did you make the rollers for the carb? Mine is in need of a new one.
2: what do the porting numbers mean? mm's, degrees? I'm clueless.
P.s.: hope I don't make nobody mad for bringing up an old thread.

1. The roller had to be custom made and welded onto the throttle linkage of the WJ70 (394XP) carb. I used a lathe to make the parts and tig welded it on.
2. The numbers are given as the duration in crank angle that the port is open. I think there is a Porting 101 thread here you may want to consult for terminology.

@srcarr52 I've done some reading since reading the post and I think I'm 60% there on understanding how porting works. I don't think id have a hard time mimicking your numbers.
Pretty sure I'll try it sooner or later

Latest posts

Back