A tree company makes my day!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyexpress976

nipple fritters
Reaction score
I have a small lawn business that I run after my full time job. So Tuesday afternoon I get a call and this guy says "I need an estimate for some work ASAP" I says "I get out of work at 5 and I'll be right over". Leave work and start heading there. Half way there the guy calls and cancels on me....gonna have the neighborhood kid take care of the lawn and bushes. WTF! Why ask for and estimate!!!! Good for the kid but puts me in a fowl mood since Im now sitting in rush hour traffic and headed away from home/beer/dog/TV/chainsaws to be fixed/girlfriend. I stop at a light and look over and here's this tree company dropping a huge Ash tree. I figure things can't get any worse so I'll ask if I can get some wood. Pull up and ask the boss...he says "nope, gonna split it and sell it". I say ok, can't hurt to ask and start backing out of the parking lot. I don't get 10 feet before the guy yells over and come on back....musta looked at his watch and the overtime he was paying his helper and changed his mind. He says he's keeping everything that is already on the ground but I can have the stick....28" at the base and about 30 feet long. Got the girlfriends 2500 filled up and my 1500 well past the point of being overloaded and giggled all the way home!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy may never know it but he really made my day! Thanks Craico Tree Service, Inc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratz on the score! Always ask.. worst case you head home with the same empty truck you started with... there's nothing but upside!

Good for the kid but puts me in a fowl mood

A fowl mood? Like this?

attachment.php

Or like this?

attachment.php

:D

Anyway, nice haul! :cheers:

HEY...they said that I could have that wood!!!! What's the big idea...I saw it first!!!!

Just kidding my neighbor to the North...congrats on the score. I believe that may be Craig Belles who owns that tree service-I graduated high school a year ahead of him about 100 years ago... :greenchainsaw:

His business card says Craig Krisher. He told me he turned down like 5 people. Guess my timing was perfect! Note to self...if I see another tree crew, don't bother them until they look tired or until it's close to quiting time.

Nice score. Things happen for a reason, eh?

On the concept of "It never hurts to ask..."

A short time ago a utility company dropped some trees when they cleared out an area near their lines. They piled the trees along the edge. I did a little calling around - starting with the utility company - and eventually found the property owner (a business).

Anyway, I called the guy and explained the situation (he didn't even know the trees and junk had been cleared out) and then asked if I could cut a little of the downed wood. He thought for a second (I think he believed I was nuts) and simply said, "sure, go for it."

He didn't even care to take my name, phone number, etc. He just let me at it!

Nice score - never hurts to ask!

Note to self - need to drive the truck to work once in a while, and keep the saw handy too!

Never mind 120/10*2.5=$30/day in gas in the truck vs $10 in the Impala, one week with no free wood is going rate for a 1/3 cord of dry oak around here...

It never hurts to ask. Yesterday, a tree service was droppind 2 monster Oaks up the street. They were happy to have a place close by to bring them. I ended up with 5 small dump truck loads plus a couple 30" trunks brought over with a front end loader. About 2-3 cords of Oak...a great start toward 2010-11. Confucious say: He who is shy have empty woodstove.:cheers:

the trucks

Yeah, I get more grief than I care to admit to over her truck being bigger than mine...it's actually in my name but she gets to drive it. It's also newer, gets better mileage(since she drives farther), and doesn't have that "lived in" smell on rainy days

Latest posts

Back