A tree question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 50' shag bark hickory in my woods that's approx. 16" in diameter. One(of only two) of the main leaders up top has some rot in it and the woodpeckers have gotten after it. My question is, with the rot setting in comes the bugs and should this tree be cut down for firewood? I try to thin out the problem trees and I think this should come down. What do you guys think?

If You Leave It Standing And It All Rots, The You Have Wasted The Whole Tree. If You Cut It Now You Can Burn Everything That Hasn't Rotted

I'd say take her down. I've cut them down for less serious reasons. Not one of the more valuable saw logs anyway. But with rot in the top be sure to wear your hardhat!:dizzy:

Tough to say without pics. Hickory takes forever and a day to grow and does provide nuts for squirrels and ground varmints. Live hickory also makes really good smoker wood if you are into that kinda cooking.

I leave the sassafras and silver maple for the wildlife. I also put all my top limbs into brush piles. Hickory is too valuable as firewood or smoking meat to let it be woodpecker fodder.

Is the whole tree dead? Is it really a problem tree in that there is danger to letting it stand? The bugs really shouldn't be much of a concern to live, healthy trees. Do you heat your house with wood?

All questions that need to be considered. If you are simply trying to manage your woodlot, the tree does not necessarily need to go, as dead trees do provide habitat for lots of critters. The tree could be beneficial, at least for a while, especially if one leader is still live.

Are you looking for advice or an accomplice?:)

I'm of no use on the former but as for the latter...

It's healthy to want to run your saw. It's not like the wood isn't going to serve another purpose. Think of the BTUs that will be trapped, helplessly, in that wood without your help. For just the price of a gallon of gas you can help to free those poor BTUs to reach their full potential. And what about the food, doomed to a life of bland kitchen preparation without the help of the hickory smoke that only you can provide. The poor polk shoulder yearning to spend 14 hours at the 225 degrees provided by that diseased and dangerous tree. Oh yeah babe. :clap:

In the immortal words of Darth Sideous,"Do it!"

I hope this helps.

Wow!

Did'nt think anyone would tap into the psychodynamics of psychoanalysis of my psychic.......and Im not even married!........lol.........

Next to my property is a nature preserve and a large swamp with plenty of dead wood for the woodpeckers to peck the h**l out of ! ! ! So, the tree will come down.

Good advice guys! Thank You!

I cut a hickory every year for the BBQ, I save some 2-3" branches and chop them up with miter saw, soak overnight and toss on charcoal. Rest of tree becomes firewood. Enjoy!

if that tree is dying it will repoduce its self many time over in the next year or two (may want to try and grow some saplings befor cutting down)

Latest posts

Back