Aaaaaaarrrrggghhh!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zopi

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
No, I didn't cut my leg off...but i'm gonna gnaw my arm off soon...saw hasn't arrived yet, and the account hasn't been approved yet...<sigh>

On a better note, I was cleaning out our ancient smokehouse the other day of most of the crap the prior owners left...and found an old hewing ax..it's not a broadaxe, but it is chisel cut..it has a trademark, Ward Master, so I presume it is an old Monkey wards piece. after I threw out my back humpin' firewood today, I pulled out an old busted ax handle and started carving, made such a pretty haft for the ax that I couldn't bear to stick it in that nasty old ax head,
so I dug up the grinder and a scrubby wheel (whaddayacallit?) and polished all the rust off...grabbed an old lathe parting tool and worked that over into a pair of wedges and hafted the axe...sure is a pretty little thing, just to play with it I began carving the bark off of a maggoty little cherry log (hate termites) to see if the bugs had got past the pith..thankfully they had not eaten into the hardwood...

But I digress..got myself a nice little ax for the cost of a couple hours of
aggravation..It's good enough quality to ring gently when struck...been a long time since I owned an ax that would ring...:givebeer:

hope I can get my bloody saw before the weekend..:chainsaw:

old tools

Thats cool! Theres just something about old tools even if they don't look the prettiest they seem to work better (well sometimes). I found a couple of old block planes in my garage from the previous owner they looked nasty and were rusted but some steel wool and wet/dry paper and lots of sharpening and I got one of them working pretty well now I use it all the time. Have fun with it and put it to use post some pics and take care.

Now that you've peaked our interest... lets see a pic of this beauty!!

I'll obviously have to take some pics once I get this saw in here..I've got a big pine butt log to mill...so I'll shoot some pics of that..I'm sure I'll be using the ax to debark the trunk...

I've been trying to collect the set of "Black Raven" hand forged tools from Kelly works for years now. I am amazed with the quality of the these oldies.

I was referring to the ax you were describing... but of course we wanna see pics of your saw also.

ah..i was talking about the ax...i'm simply waiting to do both at the same time..

So, anyway..i picked up the saw today..finally..got tell the girl at the co-op
that indeed, mine was longer<G>

OMG! that saw is a monster! I've gotta say, it's fun as hell to run...I had a few pieces of firewood that were too long for the stove, so i bucked em and dropped the saw through them...legitimate part of the break in y'know :)

it's bloody amazing...like a hot knife through..ummmm...water..

if it's not raining too hard tomorrow i'll try to get out and cut up that big pecan..just making fire wood out of it for the most part..but i may save a few feet for the mill...I want to break the thing in before i try milling with it..i'll try to get a few pics

i never tried out one of the stihl logger helmets before either...nice...been ragging my wife about what would she do if i came to bed with chaps and the helmet on...what she said doesn't bear repeating, as it would likely get me banned....she IS married to a sailor after all...:angry2:

ah..i was talking about the ax...i'm simply waiting to do both at the same time..

So, anyway..i picked up the saw today..finally..got tell the girl at the co-op
that indeed, mine was longer<G>

OMG! that saw is a monster! I've gotta say, it's fun as hell to run...I had a few pieces of firewood that were too long for the stove, so i bucked em and dropped the saw through them...legitimate part of the break in y'know :)

it's bloody amazing...like a hot knife through..ummmm...water..

if it's not raining too hard tomorrow i'll try to get out and cut up that big pecan..just making fire wood out of it for the most part..but i may save a few feet for the mill...I want to break the thing in before i try milling with it..i'll try to get a few pics

i never tried out one of the stihl logger helmets before either...nice...been ragging my wife about what would she do if i came to bed with chaps and the helmet on...what she said doesn't bear repeating, as it would likely get me banned....she IS married to a sailor after all...:angry2:

ZOPI,

First of all, what kind of saw did you get?

Second, the logger helmet and chaps are $$ well spent. I've had a few instances where a limb has swong the wrong direction and it was a good thing I had a brain bucket on. As for the chaps, my daughter bought those for me when I restored my Wards PowerBee 820 saw. When you start playing with bigger saws you need to protect yourself as much as possible. I wear my helmet/chaps everytime I cut. They are so you can play another day!

jerry-

ZOPI,

First of all, what kind of saw did you get?

Second, the logger helmet and chaps are $$ well spent. I've had a few instances where a limb has swong the wrong direction and it was a good thing I had a brain bucket on. As for the chaps, my daughter bought those for me when I restored my Wards PowerBee 820 saw. When you start playing with bigger saws you need to protect yourself as much as possible. I wear my helmet/chaps everytime I cut. They are so you can play another day!

jerry-

It's an MS660/36"....spent the day working on a huge pecan...bout 40" at the
butt...alot of it is rotten, but the heart is sound (and bloody hard) took about a ton and a half out of it so far...I shoud finish it tomorrow...then start on it's twin..I expect about six cords out of the next one...might get three cords out of trunk of hte first one...

I am very happy with the saw so far..'cept I hit a rock or something in that butt log...crap...spent the last half hour or so grinding chain...:angry2:

As soon as I picked the saw up the first time, I knew I had to have chaps...the 290 and 180C..not so much...

well, I gotta go cook supper for about 12 rugrats...slumber party tonight...:censored:

Yarhg! Rugratz...bloody loud little buggers...woke me at two...oh well..was up and cutting early this morning...only got two rounds of of that first pecan before it started raining sideways...boy I can pack saws in a hurry...

stihl got 300 lbs or so on the trailer...it'll burn...there isn't gonna be anything in the first one to mill, <SIGH> I still have hopes for the other one...the trunk has been suspended off the ground all this time...bout five feet up..I have hopes for about ten feet of straight grained heartwood...man that stuff is hard..

I'm thinking paneling in a bathroom or something. and a butcher block which doth not sucketh.

I think I'll go sit in front of the fire and file chain..:chainsaw:

then maybe i'll pull out the mill and start setting it up for the big saw.

Yarhg! Rugratz...bloody loud little buggers...woke me at two...oh well..was up and cutting early this morning...only got two rounds of of that first pecan before it started raining sideways...boy I can pack saws in a hurry...

stihl got 300 lbs or so on the trailer...it'll burn...there isn't gonna be anything in the first one to mill, <SIGH> I still have hopes for the other one...the trunk has been suspended off the ground all this time...bout five feet up..I have hopes for about ten feet of straight grained heartwood...man that stuff is hard..

I'm thinking paneling in a bathroom or something. and a butcher block which doth not sucketh.

I think I'll go sit in front of the fire and file chain..:chainsaw:

then maybe i'll pull out the mill and start setting it up for the big saw.

Yup sounds like ya got the rainy day blues. We have sure had our share of rain here in Ky. for the last month or so. I got bored last night and went to the shop and sharpened chains with my new handy-dandy Husqvarna roller guide that my wife bought for me. I kinda like it actually except I cant figure out exactly how the depth gauge side of it works. Congrats on the new saw Zopi!:greenchainsaw:

So I finally got to stick the big saw on the mill yesterday...all i got to do was take the slab out of a pine log...didn't get any pics as I was losing the light...I will try to get some today, i plan on milling this particular log out today...just gonna take slabs from this one as it is the knotty section of the trunk and it is kind of pretty...

had an idea earlier...one of the machinists at work was asking around for
some old tools or knifeblades to case harden..so sensing an opportunity,
i drew up some log dogs and took them down to the weld shop and had them flame cut..and brought them up to the machinists to do their case hardening training...we'll see how that works out.

Back