About time this article was written... Misleading Advertising in Wood Stove Industry!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess it depends on how in to EPA stoves one is.

most people i know don't really care one way or another if their stove is EPA certified or not.

It ain’t confusing or misleading to me, but I never take anything at face-value without doing my own fact-finding and verification. Upon coming across that ad my first question would be what and which of the tens of thousands of EPA requirements would that be? And then I’d take the time to check-it-out (that is, if I was considering the purchase, otherwise I really couldn’t care any less what the ad says, or how it's worded).

“Buyer beware” comes to mind.
It is the responsibility of the buyer to be informed… It is not the responsibility of the EPA or government to be language police. Same way with the “tax credit” thing… anyone taking the word of a salesman, an advertisement, or whatever, without verifying it somehow (such as with a tax man or tax publication) is a fool and deserves to be fleeced. It ain’t the job of government to protect us from ourselves… it is your responsibility to protect yourself.

If someone wants to write an article exposing what they believe to be misleading advertizing... well that's up to them. But that sort of legal trickery ain't just in the "Wood Stove Industry", it's all around you every waking moment...

Buyer Beware!

Heated Up!: Misleading Advertising in Wood Stove Industry: Is there a better way to move forward?

They should have also taken to task stated BTU's, Sq Ft and other specs...

Don't know why you even said anything.....John Dupree of the EPA said "Caddy is tested as a stove and is not listed as a furnace".
Your signature...PSG CADDY - High-Efficiency EPA Certified Wood & Pellet Burning Furnaces

to note the US EPA does not have a standard for furnaces..the NSPS is not law yet ...you also say it in a plural sence when only the little "Caddy" has been tested to the stove standard.

Had the EPA followed through PSG would have had to change their advertising from the misleading nature it still advertises.

We have the tape recording of the conversation for proof.

WhiteSpider is correct....buyer beware!

Last edited:
Don't know why you even said anything.....John Dupree of the EPA said "Caddy is tested as a stove and is not listed as a furnace".
Your signature...PSG CADDY - High-Efficiency EPA Certified Wood & Pellet Burning Furnaces

to note the US EPA does not have a standard for furnaces..the NSPS is not law yet ...you also say it in a plural sence when only the little "Caddy" has been tested to the stove standard.

Had the EPA followed through PSG would have had to change their advertising from the misleading nature it still advertises.

We have the tape recording of the conversation for proof.

WhiteSpider is correct....buyer beware!

Hey Keith, I was wondering when you would jump in.

You should reference the 2 or 3 posts about this very topic since it was debated to death.

For my part, i'll refrain thank you very much....

Hey Keith, I was wondering when you would jump in.

You should reference the 2 or 3 posts about this very topic since it was debated to death.

For my part, i'll refrain thank you very much....

There is no debate...it's plain and simple ...PSG is misrepresenting their product line.
I'm not the only one in the industry that believes that.Some that do not wish to be named due to conflict of interests.

Oh reference the other threads were personal attacks were made ...whatevere...the facts remains as I've stated....

John Dupree of the EPA said "Caddy is tested as a stove and is not listed as a furnace".

to repeat...a STOVE STANDARD...why are not all of the PSG furnaces EPA Listed? The boxes are too big...John Dupree admitted trying to test a large firebox to the stove standard would be futile...there's no way that the emissions could become acceptable.

That is the reason for the New Source Performance Standard for furnaces. It is there to give them a fair shake...those small stoves have low grams per hour...adding 3-5 times the wood mass in a much larger firebox needs a different set of rules or protocols hence the new testing protocols which are being hammered out.

They knew it was unfair 20 years ago when the EPA 1st came out with the EPA 40/60 rule Subpart AAA for stoves...hence furnaces were exempted.

To advertise as being EPA certified when there is no EPA test for "FURNACES" is lying.

It'll take some looking but I'm gonna go find that recording and make a link for everyone to hear.

Last edited:
... And they are off..

:sucks:

which oil is better?
My chainsaw is better then your chainsaw! ( not really but wtf)
Really does this always have to turn into a Richard measuring contest -- every time

Thank you rant over

:sucks:

which oil is better?
My chainsaw is better then your chainsaw! ( not really but wtf)
Really does this always have to turn into a Richard measuring contest -- every time

Thank you rant over

1- Esso
2- Huskvarna
3- Mine's bigger

:biggrin:

Wrong on all accounts.. Well done

#1 dont care Really.. dont care
#2 Stihl and I will proudly pay more for less all day every day just for the point fo fighting cause I can:rock:
#3 Everyone knows measuring on the bottom is cheating

... I said good day.:bang:

ha! what do you want for a 179 dollar stove!

I bet those things would still be great in a garage or camp, half of the game to efficiency is knowing how to run the stove, no matter what kind it is!

ha! what do you want for a 179 dollar stove!

I bet those things would still be great in a garage or camp, half of the game to efficiency is knowing how to run the stove, no matter what kind it is!

Knowing how to run the equipment/appliance you have ... exactly!
Also... a person always gets what they pay for

Back