Above ground roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachie97

Reaction score
I have a large sycamore tree in my front yard and it has a number of large roots above ground. Some stick up 3 inches or more. I've thought about covering them with a good topsoil but I've been told this could hurt the tree. Is this true?? If so do you have any ideas how to solve this problem?? I've nearly broke my neck tripping over them. Thanks Shannon

Mulch!

Wood chip mulch is much better for trees than lawns, anyway; why not mulch the area? The benefits for the tree are almost too many to list, plus you get to stop tripping on the roots. (Not to mention the lawn mower, which probably isn't doing the roots any favors.)

To even add more nutrient value to the mix, first layer an inch of compost around the tree, then mulch with 2-3 inches of an orgain mulch.

Weed Barrier

That sounds good!! Can I put a weed barrier down before the compost and mulch? One that lets the water get through.

Shannon,
In my 20 years experience in landscaping and tree work I have found that the only thing 'weed barriers' are good for is separating customers from their money. Almost every weed will come from airborne seed, not just magically sprout up from deep underground. If you put down 'weed barrier' you will have weeds on top of it. Most are not very good at allowing nutrients through to the tree roots underneath, and your problems with surface roots will multiply with its use.

I have a client who has no grass in thier large front yard. All of it is mulched garden.

In response to my comment on how much I laoth weeding, the Mrs. responded that with a few days work in the spring, mulching, they have vertualy no weeds all year long.

Back