Accuweather Forecast for Fall 2014

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a couple available, quite spendy. They are quite a bit slower than using a plow for the most part, on the other hand you do not develop the huge piles. Power and weight factors are the difficulties with them. There are limits to what the front end of a pickup can support. Last one I looked at was $12000 and that was not some huge unit. They make more sense on a Skidsteer but you need hi flow hydro in the 15 or more gpm range which translates to a minimum 50hp ss unit but now there is the transport problem as you just can't go driving a SS over hill and dale on city streets. I can get one for the 3 point of my tractor more reasonably 540 pto powered- a front mount is more expensive (self contained) or in some cases mid pto powered hydro pump to hydro motor for augers. Still like the SS transport problems. That is why you see equipment just parked on large lots. A lot of those are leased for the season. There are seasons that make firewood selling look like a gold mine in comparison. ( particularly when it is -10 and you are out in the middle of a huge storm just trying to stay abreast of it- extremely stressing) and of course you need to have backup equipment and then back ups for the back ups so you can still satisfy your contract commitments. Couple years ago one of my customers decided to do his own lot- went out and got a SS and a blower ( close to $100,000) worked well for him but I noticed that it it only lasted about 2 years before some other company was again clearing the lot. That particular lot was about a 1.5 hour job for one truck plus the semi dock pit was a real pain very steep and always slick as oil and water mixed on glass.

We have a different contractor every year it seems. We have 149 out side bays and 20 inside the building, plus 400 package delivery trucks. Funny how it seems like the snow season always comes in the middle of our peak (Christmas season). Two years ago I asked yard control how many trailers we processed a day? On that day we ran 750 trailers through the yard, most 53 footers, we are trying to get away from the 28 foot pups. Last year was heavier than the year before. Our problem is there is no where to put the snow. Last year the snow guy had a couple big Kamatsu articulated loaders and kept up pretty well. Since we are a major hub, we run 24/7, there is no down time for removal. They have to dodge our equipment all day (and night), Joe.

Another snow removal business owner here. Bring it. Love pushing snow around. My guys were loving it too. We had the 3rd snowiest and 3rd coldest winter every recorded here.

I wonder if you could fab up a custom pickup to hold a decent snow thrower on the front? Extend the frame forward, perhaps add another set of front steer wheels (or dualies front and back?), mount the thrower then it could be beefier than on a stock truck.

Something like that.

I wonder if you could fab up a custom pickup to hold a decent snow thrower on the front? Extend the frame forward, perhaps add another set of front steer wheels (or dualies front and back?), mount the thrower then it could be beefier than on a stock truck.

Something like that.

Answer is yes. Its been done plenty of times. Search on youtube. Only problem I see is poductivity in a business setting. A plow is much much much faster.

Latest posts

Back