Cutting on ice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had 3 dead ash trees right on a canal that needed to come down for a neighbor. The plan was to climb them, tie pieces off and drag them back on shore originally, but since we got a really good stretch of cold weather and have over 10" of ice on the canal, it made more sense to just throw them whole out on the ice. Two of them were leaning hard over the water, the third was extremely hard side lean over their raised garden beds. Luckily the hinge held and was able to move that side leaner enough to clear the garden. Good sized trees, the last one was all of my 28" bar across the hinge, the other two were about 20-22" but taller. A branch did put a hole through the ice, but other than that, no issues with falling onto the ice.

Unfortunately I didn't really take any pics, but if I could cut on ice all the time, I would. Cutting everything for firewood and not having to worry about hitting dirt at all. What a joy. Perfectly flat ground, no rounds trying to roll down a hill.

Conversely to that, I smoked 3 chains on nails in those trees...and we found even more nails when we split it all up. I had to cut the stumps down with my 261 because I ran out of 28" chains for my 500i. I've got a LOT of filing to do today.

Latest posts

Back