Acid cleaning a cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buckethead

Buckethead

ArboristSite Operative
I'm trying to remove aluminum from the cylinder of a lean run saw with muriatic acid. The first few applications got quick results but now it seems to be going a lot slower. I've scrubbed the cylinder with a scotchbrite pad and soap to remove any oil. When I run my fingernail over the cylinder wall I can still feel the galled aluminum.

Do I just need to be patient?

teacherman

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
It seems the acid should dissolve all the aluminum with little or no abrasion, if allowed to work for sufficient time. I think it turns green, and when new applications of acid with a Q-tip yeild no further "greening," the alumnum is gone. Takes many applications. You are not past the chrome bore coating I hope?

Buckethead

Buckethead

ArboristSite Operative
It seems the acid should dissolve all the aluminum with little or no abrasion, if allowed to work for sufficient time. I think it turns green, and when new applications of acid with a Q-tip yeild no further "greening," the alumnum is gone. Takes many applications. You are not past the chrome bore coating I hope?

Hmmm...that makes me feel better...I'm still getting green Q-tips. I did take some 600 wet/dry sandpaper to the effected area and that helped clean the carbon and leave just aluminum.

I hope I'm not past the chrome bore coating either.....'cuz then I'd be into the chewy chocolate center!:hmm3grin2orange:

I guess it's back to the Q-tips and acid.....Thank you for the replies!