Rust removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
In the past I was using muriatic acid to remove rust from mufflers etc, but the fumes made this an outside work proposition only. Last night I tried something different on some drill screwdriver bits, I mixed up some salt, vinegar, and some hydrogen peroxide. I put it in a pudding cup and within the first minute I could actually see some of the rust starting to fall off. I came back half an hour later and this was the result, 90% removal. The solution was room temperature, no doubt warming it would accelerate the process. A light scrub with cleanser removed the black coating and left bare metal.
A working rust removal option that won't curl your nose hairs.

Attachments

• IMG_20240206_010105.jpg
    IMG_20240206_010105.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240206_010141.jpg
    IMG_20240206_010141.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240206_010406.jpg
    IMG_20240206_010406.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 1
I used the commercial "Evaporust" on a chain recently, it worked extremely well.

The bar was mechanically cleaned with the Harbor Freight surface preparation tool.

I cannot find a "before" photo but the chain would hardly bend enough to get it into the tub with the solution.

20240201_071252.jpg

After the Evaporust I give it a quick scrub in the parts washer tank with a stainless steel wire brush as the rust turns very black while in the solution.

Mark

I have used just plain vinegar in the past, but it takes awhile. I haven't tried it with the addition of salt and HP.

I too have used evaprorust. It works good,

I then try and put a layer of johnson's paste wax on to prevent the rust from coming back.

The ratio I use was 1-1 hydrogen peroxide to vinegar, with a small amount of salt, in this case several from a shaker. Haven't played with ratios yet to find the ideal mix. Diluting it with water would slow it down but may be necessary for large jobs.

Has anyone tried electrolysis? All you need is a trickle charger, a plastic bin, and electrolyte/salt.

Be careful of sparks, hydrogen gas goes boom!
My favorite for rust removal
Requires zero effort, if its not done in a day leave it for another.
All my cast iron Griswald pans have come from rusty cast offs to everyday use after a trip through the etank. Same with old chains. I bought one for a Mercury Distton that was difficult to get into a box for transport.Now its in a nice compact loop waiting for the saw to be reborn.
So far i have just using it outside in the summer

Has anyone tried electrolysis? All you need is a trickle charger, a plastic bin, and electrolyte/salt.

Be careful of sparks, hydrogen gas goes boom!
I've used it on a number of cast iron skillets and pots rescued from yard sales. Works like a charm. All you need is a tub, some salt, a trickle charger and an iron spike or 16 penny nail.

Best is sodium carbonate a tablespoon per gallon of water
I use strips of stainless steel for the sacrificial metal on the bottom and 4 sides of the barrel i was using
Pulled the front off a fridge at the dump and cut it into strips

Best is sodium carbonate a tablespoon per gallon of water
I use strips of stainless steel for the sacrificial metal on the bottom and 4 sides of the barrel i was using
Pulled the front off a fridge at the dump and cut it into strips
I have used too far gone mower blades for the sacrificial metal, worked well.

Latest posts

Back