I must be bored

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axe2fall

Hound runner
Reaction score
I kinda got off topic in an 036 thread in the Trading Post so I decided to follow up here in Chainsaws. We got to talking about muffler restoring. I had a couple from an 036 that could use some work so I took some pics as I messed around with them.
image.jpg image.jpg

I wanted to clean them first so I used this version of Purple Power. It's about $30 for 5 gallons at Home Depot
image.jpg

I put the cleanest muffler in a jug of straight purple stuff
image.jpg I boiled a solution of 1/3 purple with 2/3 water and dropped the worst one in for 10 minutes
image.jpg
Boiling proved again to be the way to go as it took off all the old paint and most of the thick carbon. The one I just soaked in the full strength solution was just beginning to show signs of cleaning up. image.jpg
They both got a lite scrub with an old toothbrush and went back in the boiling purple stuffimage.jpg
After 10 more minutes they came out and were rinsed and hit with air then dropped in a white vinegar bath to gently remove the rust.image.jpgimage.jpg
Gonna go look at a $75 , 028 Wood Boss while these things soak. Hopefully pics of both the mufflers and the saw tomorrow.

As a side note, check out the differences in these two 036 muffler cans. You can't see in the pics but both have a pair of gills in front of the exhaust hole. The MS360 can that I modded and put on the saw ( thank you Jacob J ! ) did not have gills and had the small hole. The covers were all identical. Also none of the covers had any rust like the cans did. I assumed they must be stainless steel but the magnet said they were not.
image.jpg

I got the saw for real cheap. It would not fire. Came back late and set it on the bench (tailgate . . Bench is trashed ) It reminds me of an old gun my dad had from ww2. It's covered in goo. Dad called it Cosmoline and said the gun was new underneath. Maybe this saw will be too.
Been turkey huntin this morning. Food, coffee then pics of projects.

The turkey hunt turned into a beaver hunt after I noticed what he had for a midnight snack. My cypress tree will now be a cypress bushimage.jpg

The wood boss cleaned up niceimage.jpgimage.jpg
The muff cover was off at the top and burned the engine cover. the kill wire was mashed between the carb and intake. H screw was about 4 turns out.
It ran perfect after I put fuel in it. :rolleyes:
The guy said it had fuel in it, I swear !

The vinegar is doing its job.image.jpg
image.jpg
The gillsimage.jpg
I did hit these with the toothbrush rinsed and blew dry before I took these pics. Normally I would wire brush and paint these.
They went back in the vinegar afterwards just to see how they turn out. It really loosens the rest of the carbon as well.
And . . .
The 360 can without gillsimage.jpg
And why I work on the tailgate
image.jpg

A small bench top sand blast cabinet would get that job done right quick. I went out and got the cheap little HF unit that needed some mods before the sand would not come out and make a total mess. I had to cut apart an automotive air filter to put in the cabinet vent, then added a small shop vac to create negative pressure in the cabinet without sucking out all the media, that that does escape is easily recovered from the shop vac.

I like how you modded your blast cabinet. I always wanted one.
I was just trying to point out the pros and cons of using alkaline (purple stuff) and acid (vinegar) as a technique for restoring metal parts without sacrificing any material. This would be more important if it were a rare part. But common parts are what I try to experiment with. I would not go to this trouble for a work saw. The mufflers would be way done by now.

Blast it and paint it if you can. I would want ALL of the sand out of the seams though.

The fact that you can basically leave the parts soak while you do other things makes it labor neutral so it's really not hard to do. It's just a slower process. Heat cuts down on the time but adds to the labor.

The culpritimage.jpg

The mufflers after about 40 hours soaking in white vinegar
image.jpg image.jpg

I rinsed, blew dry and wiped them down with rubbing alcohol in case the compressor sprayed a oily mist.
The sat in the sunshine for a few then I rattle canned some grill paint on them

HAPPY EASTER !

image.jpg image.jpg

Happy Easter!!!

Wow....the muffler turned out AWSOME!!! Really good info for my future projects. Question, is the pot you boiled it in made of stainless or aluminum? I'm trying to find something to use in my ultosonic cleaner other than Dawn that doesn't turn a carb dark.

The O28 did have a protective coating!!!! Looks really good!!! You use the Zep on it also??

Glad you got you culprit.... They can be devastating if not taken care of.

Thanks.
The pot is a cheap stainless dog food dish from Walmart. It won't last long.
I did not intend to clean that saw yet but once I started blowing it off I didn't stop. Compressed air took care of 90% of the goo. Randy's formula of random old gas and diesel fuel softened up everything else. I just brushed it on the saw while it sat on the bucket. More air then a mist of Zep to get the oily film off. Rinse. Then more air to dry it.
It don't know anything about an ultrasonic cleaner but it sounds like I need one. Simple Green might work for you in yours.
There will be another beaver to fill that vacuum. I planted 600 Cypress 10 years ago. There might be 20 trees left that a beaver has not cut off at least once. That habit has cost the lives of over 100 beavers in that time. I prefer head shots with a rifle while they swim the pond. You either kill em or miss. This one was in a bad spot below the dam so I used a Conibear 220.
The Cypress stumps will sprout back but they will be bushy.

You now have a perfect opportunity to skin that beaver and attach the fur to the plastics on one of your saws:cool:
I can usually get away with telling the old lady that I am going out in the woods to play with my new saw.
I doubt that it would go over as well if I tell her that I am going out in the woods to play with my new beaver.;)

Ya...if you dont have an ultrasonic cleaner you do need one!!! I've tryed Simple Green and that causes the least discoloration. Maybe I have temp to high or cycle too long. Longer and hotter are better right??!!

Poleman I found that simple Tide works well may have to soak longer but works very well when done make sure to wash items with clean water as lye could countiue to eat after pulled form tank that's all I uaslly coat with oil after washing with clean water

Hey guilty1, thanks!!! Do you use liquid or powder? If powder how do you mix it to disolve it completly.
I know it works good on my work cloth.....so why not!!

I have the HF USC cleaner with heat I throw in about 1/2 scoop in about 1-2 gallons of water?? IDK just guess I also use powder it smells/tastes better...MMMMM

Latest posts

Back