Acme Boiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Acme recommendation

I have an Acme furnace made in northern Missouri. I live 30 miles northeast of Omaha, Ne. I have had this stove for 3 winters and have had no troubles. I heat 5600 square feet and it keeps up in the coldest weather in Iowa. Be sure to use the insulated pex for the underground piping. I have a 2 degree drop in temp running 90 feet to the house. I use a 50 plate heat exchanger that gives us plenty of hot water for 7 kids. I get a solid 10 hour burn and can get longer burn times with the hard wood. We use the wood cutting and splitting as a time to have father son bonding. It also helps that I pay them for their labor. I would rather pay them than the gas company. I have natural gas for the kitchen stove and average $25 per month natural gas year round. I feel the ACME stove is a quality product and has held up well. I would buy another one but i figure this stove will outlast me.
Davin

I also looked at the Acme this fall before I purchased a new boiler. The design looked good and I liked the specs and metal thickness. I ended up buying an Earth Wood Boiler, also made in Missouri. My deal breaker on the Acme was the size of the door compared to the Earth. I bought the Earth Mountain Man 505 and it has a 25x25 door. I am SO glad I got the bigger door. It is so easy to open the door and just throw the wood in rather than try to place it through the door. I am heating around 5000 sq. foot and am loading once every 24 hrs. minimum and 36 max. That was even when it was 30 mph wind and 17 degrees out. I am really happy with my boiler, build quality and performance.

Like I said, the Acme was on my short list but the door is what did it for me. I also did take the extra time and insulate my door with ceramic fiber insulation and had the double insulation package from the factory. I believe that has made a huge difference. My dealer told me that he was not getting the same burn times with his Earth. He was getting around 16 hrs. or so. Maybe his house isn't as insulated or some other variable. Don't know but I am really happy with mine.

I bought an Acme 340 or 350. It has been such a PITA I can't express my dismay. I tried to tell them it wasn't getting up to temp. Long story short, they told me return the stove, they would give me about 1k less than I paid... and to kiss their ass.
My buddy has the 235. Loves it. I have the 340.. hate it.
Wags

Check out outdoor wood boiler info forum, there is a section on there about ACME boilers and not too many people are happy with them. My neighbor has had one about a year and really likes it! I have looked it over and it seems to be as good as some others. I have a Hardy and like it a little better just because it has a DHW coil in it and the ACME uses a plate heat exchanger for DHW. I do like the fact that it has a round fire box. I would really look at a lot of different brands and pay no attention to price. I was in a hurry and bought what is common around here but wish now I would have went with a Central Boiler. Mine works awesome though just not as efficient. Make sure what ever brand you end up with don't go cheap on your underground piping...

I have the Acme 235. I know a lot of people do not like this brand, but I have to say I have had very little issues with mine. Had the pump go out 3 months after I purchased it, called and factory brought a new one out to my house! Was having a hard time getting my door to seal this winter. Called Claire at the factory, told me to check the door to see if it had warped......it had. Said unit still under warranty and he had me a new door done in 3 days, painted and new gasket installed ready to be put on the boiler. I am on year 3 with this wood boiler. It heats my home and hot water and does a very good job in doing so. I only live 35 miles from where these are built. I have toured the factory and have seen how these are made at various stages of construction while at the plant. They stand behind their product. This unit does not have all the bells and whistles of other brands, but for the money I think it is the best available. It is worth looking into if you are considering wood heat!

Latest posts

Back