add-on Feather cutter for a splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MotorSeven

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've got a Yard machines 26 ton. It's an older one & the sticker on it say's it was made right here in 'merica. I seem to be splitting bigger stuff & last week was a 24" Hickory. The dang feathers were a pain & we were using a hatchet & machete to cut them.
I am going to add a feather cutter & was wondering if anyone has done this mod & how it is working out?

Wood003.jpg

RD

Valkyrie Rider

Valkyrie Rider

ArboristSite Operative
I'll be watching this too as I'm splitting a lot of cherry that seems very stringy. I had a small axe out to cut the strands after each split, but it's a pain to do with every split almost.

MotorSeven

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Oh...so I have the be the guinea pig eh?.....oh alright, but your going to have to wait, headed to S.D. for a couple of weeks. Camping, riding enduro's & shooting prarie dogs has the priority.

But I am thinking of just welding a heavy fairly blunt "knife" on the wedge that goes up, out and over for about 6-8". The safety issue has me concerned though, because something sticking out like that is bound to grab you at the wrong moment........

RD