Add on Furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggenius29

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We are in the process of doing a remodel on a old farm house. For the longest time I was going to put in a OWB, I am still not opposed to it. Yesterday I had a heating and cooling guy come out to see what he can to for duct work and what not and he suggested a add on wood furnace. I never really thought of going this route. For one I like the price tag on them compared to a OWB.

I pretty much know all the ins and outs of OWB, what I like about some and what I dont like about others, I put alot of research into them. But right now I am so buizy moving out of our old house and remodeling our new house I dont have all the time to research.

So I am wondering what are some featurs to look for on a Add-on, what to stay away from and what to spend the extra money on? What are some good brands, and what ones should I stay away from? Are the ones at TSC and Menards any good, or are they like alot of the other stuff they carry, good enough to get the job done, but not high quality. If there is anything else that I should know let me know.

I dont like making a decision this fast without doing the research so I will take this one to you guys. Like I said, if these things are a big hastle I will still put up a OWB, but right now I also dont have $10000 sitting around for one either.

I installed an Englander for a friend

It is OK. But I would drop a bit more coin and op for a unit with a draft control. The Englanders are pretty much set it and forget it.
I prefer a fire to be controlled by what the house needs. If it does not need heat the fire will drop down. When heat is called for the fire will rev up. I think they will use less wood. And will be less likely to overheat a home.

We are in the process of doing a remodel on a old farm house. For the longest time I was going to put in a OWB, I am still not opposed to it. Yesterday I had a heating and cooling guy come out to see what he can to for duct work and what not and he suggested a add on wood furnace. I never really thought of going this route. For one I like the price tag on them compared to a OWB.

I pretty much know all the ins and outs of OWB, what I like about some and what I dont like about others, I put alot of research into them. But right now I am so buizy moving out of our old house and remodeling our new house I dont have all the time to research.

So I am wondering what are some featurs to look for on a Add-on, what to stay away from and what to spend the extra money on? What are some good brands, and what ones should I stay away from? Are the ones at TSC and Menards any good, or are they like alot of the other stuff they carry, good enough to get the job done, but not high quality. If there is anything else that I should know let me know.

I dont like making a decision this fast without doing the research so I will take this one to you guys. Like I said, if these things are a big hastle I will still put up a OWB, but right now I also dont have $10000 sitting around for one either.

Taking your time to get educated is comendable.
Call me and I'll cover what you should be looking for in a good add on.
800-358-0060
We have been making the top of the line add ons for over 30 years.
Our furnaces use very little wood compared to the others,they can run without power and they will last for 30 years or so.
I have one and I love it.
My home stays warm and toasty even when it's 30 below 0 on two loads a day.

Interesting info. I am thinking of going from a stove to a furnace. I ruled out the OWB, just seems like a lot of overkill for what I need. I want to put the wood furnace in my garage, and pipe the hot air into the basement, where the regular furnace sits. I figure my guestimates the top of the furnace is right about the bottom of the WF, I would be going through the wall between the two. Would the air move like that? I would use wood, but when the fire went out would want the gas furnace to kick on. Feasible? I am going to lose space and shelving in my garage, but I should clean out and get rid of some of that crap out there anyway. I figure a couple cords stacked up indoors, keeping me out of the snow in the winter will more than make up for it.

don't even think about an OWB ... unless you're ready to handle a lot of wood. OWB's typically consume 2x-3x wood than a high efficiency wood stove/furnace. in all fairness, OWB's sometimes are heating much larger areas including workshops.

OWB's that burn 6 cords are on low end... 12 cords per season is not unusual. vs wood stoves with secondary burn that use 6 cords would be the high end. most use much less... typically 3-5 cords per season.

do read the threads about OWB's getting outlawed... caused by jerks burning trash, etc. instead of clean dry wood.

each has advantages and disadvantage. some swear by OWB's... some swear at em...:chainsaw:

I have an add on Hotblast 1537G . They sell them at Do it best or tractor supply. I paid $700 for mine new on a super sale. I think If I was going to do it again and I had a little more $$ I would of gone to a better unit like the EPA approved one. One thing I can say with this stove don't throw out any wood you are offered. I dumped about 4 cords of semi old logs in my woods cause my neighbor was giving me the " This wood is too punky and Blahh Blahhh stuff" I listened to him. Well after learning for myself you can stick anything in this and it will burn it. Add the good with the bad... They make alot of heat but buy a programable thermostat unless you like waking up at 4 am to fill the stove again.

Taking your time to get educated is comendable.
Call me and I'll cover what you should be looking for in a good add on.
800-358-0060
We have been making the top of the line add ons for over 30 years.
Our furnaces use very little wood compared to the others,they can run without power and they will last for 30 years or so.
I have one and I love it.
My home stays warm and toasty even when it's 30 below 0 on two loads a day.

Kieth, I will give you a call today at sometime.

I have done some calling around this area and some local suppliers sell, Harmen, PSG Distribution, Firechief, and Woodchuck. Are all those good brands?

You have named some better furnaces.....what I like to do is compare line item for line item.
I'll go online with you and disect each and every comparable furnace. I believe when we get done...you'll see why I'm so up on Yukon and glad to be working for them.

Those dept store furnaces are cheaply built without any reburn or after burn and no real warranty to back up the furnace.

My 2 cents. Dont bother getting a furnace with a thermostatically controlled draft fan. To me, they are a gimmick, when a desired temp is reached in the house, there is no way a thermostat can shut down a wide-open fire/hot furnace so it will stop producing heat.

My 2 cents. Dont bother getting a furnace with a thermostatically controlled draft fan. To me, they are a gimmick, when a desired temp is reached in the house, there is no way a thermostat can shut down a wide-open fire/hot furnace so it will stop producing heat.

I agree, mine has a line volt thermostat to turn the draft blower on. If the house is cold you will get quite the roaring fire before the thermostat is satisfied & shuts the blower off. Another drawback is when the fire burns down in the early morning hours the draft blower would come on & you go to fix the fire to find nothing left but a cold firebox & a blower still pushing air in it.We use it to help get the fire going when it's down to a few coals or just starting a fire otherwise we just leave it off. So it is usefull, just not the way they advertise.

My Harman 3500 had the draft control triggered by the thermostat and also by a heat sensor in the plenum. If the heated air in the plenum got above some temp, 200 deg i think, the draft control got closed and the blower came on to dissipate heat, irregardless of what the thermostat was cranked up to. That system worked pretty good.

the induced thermo fans will use more wood yo uwant one that will ope n the natural damper wit h a chain it will get the effect without "hot boxing" the wood up too quick,i have a englander28-3500 ,a well built unit takes big splits and has a good burn time but the controls are a bit touchy and can run you out of the house if left open

Keep in mind wood heat is inexpensive, it is also a manual type of heat.
You do not have continuity of operation like with gas,oil or electric furnaces.
The heat is always coming,but if you get a unit that has a lot of control you can keep your home pretty warm and you will not be overheating very much.

I see a ton of this is how they are....do not lump all wood burners in the same basket.

I'll admit it takes a season to learn where to set drafts and what load sizes to load ,but once learned it sure is nice to have a warm and toasty home for next to nothing in costs compared to my normal 4000$ liquid gas expenditure.
I wonder what I'll be spending that 4 grand on this year.
Maybe a downstroke on a new boat?:clap:

I'm still burning wood with the temps in the 30's and 40's.
After a day in the boat it sure is nice to come home to that wood heat.
DSC02515.jpg

I talked to a guy who does some contracting for Vogelzang, and he said that in the next month or so their stoves will go on sale. He said that all their stoves are made in China, and last year he had a bunch of shipping containers full of stoves never show up. Then, a month or so ago all the containers showed up. Now needless to say I guess he has warehouses full of stoves and he is looking to unload them.

Which got me thinking, I talked to one dealer in my area who sells Harmen and right now they are doing a sale $600 off all their stuff. That has me wondering if Harmen has Vogelzang making their stoves? Vogelzang is from my area, and my builder who does work for them was in some of these warehouses and he made a comment that they make alot of stoves and just put different names on them.

Is there any way to find out what other companys stoves are made in China, and are Vogelzang stoves with a different name on them?

Good point to bring up biggenius29.

Yukon furnaces are made here in the US....Palisade,Mn. to be exact.
Also think about what you are really getting for a retailer...a markup.
We are the factory and there is no middle mark up when you purchase a furnace from us so in the end you are getting more bang for your buck.

I'd point out that Vogelzang is a bottom tier wood furnace.
Thin steels,light powdery firebrick,cheap grates and most of importantly no afterburn or catylitics to achieve those extra (3o%-40%) btu's that can be had by burning off the smoke over a fire.

You will get what you pay for when talking about wood furnaces.

Yukon's furnaces are on sale for the month of May.

Last edited:
Keith

Good point to bring up biggenius29.

Yukon furnaces are made here in the US....Palisade,Mn. to be exact.

You will get what you pay for when talking about wood furnaces.

Yukon's furnaces are on sale for the month of May.

Keith how is the R&D on the indoor woodfired boiler coming along?

well if you need a guinea pig

Slow,but now that we are in our slow season I'd expect more time being allotted toward that unit.

Just let me know. I will head up and pick one up and install it and keep you informed how it performs.When I have completed my detailed review of it in about ........... say 20 years you can send a truck to pick it up. LOL

Latest posts

Back