Add on wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh i see... well that is unfortunate.
the house is only 1300 not including the partially finished basement. all new windows and doors. it's insulated good other then the attic, which could use a little more.

my plan was to install this add on like to old one was.

True...in order to have a furnace that burns liquid fuel and solid fuel vent in a common flue it must be tested and listed by an accredited testing facility.

I do know in Maine that if you have had a seperate oil furnace and wood furnace both vented into a common flue it can fall into the new law that says it is ok...but Maine is the only state I am aware of that wrote that new code into the books.

When it comes to ducting. NFPA does allow for clearences to combustibles to be 50% less if you use 1" metal or ceramic stand offs and cover with sheet metal or concrete board leaving an air space of 1" or filled with mineral batting rated to 1500 degrees. All ducting must be made of sheet metal. The normal clearence is 18" unless the heater has been tested to be closer.
Yukon has done just that so to start 6" is all that is required and then you could go to 3" if you comply with NFPA 90B. Once you get 6' away and the ducting makes a 90 degree turn clearences dissappear.

Last edited:
Back