Added a grate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwest_170

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Little background, the air enters this stove from the back of the firebox and by a couple of burns this firebox would be full of coals and ash mixed together. A few days of burning creates enough ash that coals just get smothered out. I would end up shoveling out about half coals and half ash. I decided to build a grate to get more complete burns.

IMG_20141105_195242_zpsf8b51cc3.jpg

This grate hinges in the middle to allow me to clean out ash under the grate while still having coals on top.

IMG_20141105_195258_zps74213388.jpg

Instead of waking up to a bunch of coals smothered out by ash I now wake up to this.

IMG_20141106_071109_zps61423db1.jpg

It's an Hearth stove from the early 90's. It's got some secondary burn tubes that also come in from the back. It was in the house when I bought the house, and the construction of the home occurred in 1994. The guy told me he bought it new when he built the house. I don't know a lot about the stove, but it's a pretty good size fire box (17 deep x 23.5 wide x 22 high)

I couldnt imagin having to shovel my ashes out of my stove. I love having a drop through grate and ash pan.

My stove has a ash plug/pan, I have never used it, seems like a PITA to herd ash into that lil hole, I just dig it out
Now in my Yukon furnace...rake the grate a lil on each reload, ash pan gets dumped once a week :rock:

pretty good size fire box (17 deep x 23.5 wide x 22 high)
I'll say! :eek:

My stove has a ash plug/pan, I have never used it, seems like a PITA to herd ash into that lil hole, I just dig it out
Now in my Yukon furnace...rake the grate a lil on each reload, ash pan gets dumped once a week :rock:

I'll say! :eek:

Same here on my Shenandoah. It has a 10" round grate and a 24" x 12" ash pan. :cool:

My boiler has an ash pan. Never use it. Much easier to handle & dump ashes that are in a 5 gallon (metal) bucket, than an ash pan.

What did you make the grates out of?

My boiler has an ash pan. Never use it. Much easier to handle & dump ashes that are in a 5 gallon (metal) bucket, than an ash pan.

What did you make the grates out of?

I used 3/4" square tubing for the frame. I then laid 2 pieces of 1/4" x 2" square mesh on top of each other and offset them so I had 1" square openings. I didn't use this size for any special reason, it's just what I had laying around the shop.

they look good but I doubt they will last long if you burn 24/7...

It's an Hearth stove from the early 90's. It's got some secondary burn tubes that also come in from the back. It was in the house when I bought the house, and the construction of the home occurred in 1994. The guy told me he bought it new when he built the house. I don't know a lot about the stove, but it's a pretty good size fire box (17 deep x 23.5 wide x 22 high)
With all of the combustion air coming in the back seems like it would be a good candidate for a duct to bring outside air in to save using up heated air for burning.

Back