Added a grate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
midwest_170

midwest_170

ArboristSite Operative
Little background, the air enters this stove from the back of the firebox and by a couple of burns this firebox would be full of coals and ash mixed together. A few days of burning creates enough ash that coals just get smothered out. I would end up shoveling out about half coals and half ash. I decided to build a grate to get more complete burns.

IMG_20141105_195242_zpsf8b51cc3.jpg

This grate hinges in the middle to allow me to clean out ash under the grate while still having coals on top.

IMG_20141105_195258_zps74213388.jpg

Instead of waking up to a bunch of coals smothered out by ash I now wake up to this.

IMG_20141106_071109_zps61423db1.jpg

midwest_170

midwest_170

ArboristSite Operative
It's an Hearth stove from the early 90's. It's got some secondary burn tubes that also come in from the back. It was in the house when I bought the house, and the construction of the home occurred in 1994. The guy told me he bought it new when he built the house. I don't know a lot about the stove, but it's a pretty good size fire box (17 deep x 23.5 wide x 22 high)

brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hey you woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!
My stove has a ash plug/pan, I have never used it, seems like a PITA to herd ash into that lil hole, I just dig it out
Now in my Yukon furnace...rake the grate a lil on each reload, ash pan gets dumped once a week :rock:

pretty good size fire box (17 deep x 23.5 wide x 22 high)
I'll say! :eek:

Marshy

Marshy

285 Killa
My stove has a ash plug/pan, I have never used it, seems like a PITA to herd ash into that lil hole, I just dig it out
Now in my Yukon furnace...rake the grate a lil on each reload, ash pan gets dumped once a week :rock:

I'll say! :eek:

Same here on my Shenandoah. It has a 10" round grate and a 24" x 12" ash pan. :cool:

NSMaple1

NSMaple1

Addicted to ArboristSite
My boiler has an ash pan. Never use it. Much easier to handle & dump ashes that are in a 5 gallon (metal) bucket, than an ash pan.

What did you make the grates out of?

midwest_170

midwest_170

ArboristSite Operative
My boiler has an ash pan. Never use it. Much easier to handle & dump ashes that are in a 5 gallon (metal) bucket, than an ash pan.

What did you make the grates out of?

I used 3/4" square tubing for the frame. I then laid 2 pieces of 1/4" x 2" square mesh on top of each other and offset them so I had 1" square openings. I didn't use this size for any special reason, it's just what I had laying around the shop.

woodchuck357

woodchuck357

Addicted to ArboristSite
It's an Hearth stove from the early 90's. It's got some secondary burn tubes that also come in from the back. It was in the house when I bought the house, and the construction of the home occurred in 1994. The guy told me he bought it new when he built the house. I don't know a lot about the stove, but it's a pretty good size fire box (17 deep x 23.5 wide x 22 high)
With all of the combustion air coming in the back seems like it would be a good candidate for a duct to bring outside air in to save using up heated air for burning.

Latest posts