Adding a chain brake 038 super questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillysWheeler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just aquired a pretty good shape 038 super electronic saw. I ended up giving $145 for the saw and it runs and cuts great. The question happens to be who has added a chain brake to one of these that didnt originally come with the brake? It appears it would be a bolt on affair possibly. Been looking over the ipl and service manuals, but not sure yet. I would love to hear some first hand experience.

No I didn't take it off, but I will pull it off tomorrow afternoon and look around. I will try and get some pictures of the saw too.

The mediacat shows many different crankcase halves for that side, so I am guessing that you will have to take a peek to see if it has the pins you need.

I just aquired a pretty good shape 038 super electronic saw. I ended up giving $145 for the saw and it runs and cuts great. The question happens to be who has added a chain brake to one of these that didnt originally come with the brake? It appears it would be a bolt on affair possibly. Been looking over the ipl and service manuals, but not sure yet. I would love to hear some first hand experience.
I'm not sure about the super , but I can reliably inform you that I was given an old 038av with a metal tank, and it had had all the brake band taken out by the previous owner, it had the old type brake band mechanism and dust cover, so I fitted a newer type 038 mechanism, band and dust cover, as the old dust covers and newer ones are slightly different and if you put the old dust cover on the newer type mechanism it inhibits the return spring from returning as there's not enough clearance. hop that makes sense ?

I'm not sure about the super , but I can reliably inform you that I was given an old 038av with a metal tank, and it had had all the brake band taken out by the previous owner, it had the old type brake band mechanism and dust cover, so I fitted a newer type 038 mechanism, band and dust cover, as the old dust covers and newer ones are slightly different and if you put the old dust cover on the newer type mechanism it inhibits the return spring from returning as there's not enough clearance. hop that makes sense ?
Very handy info. I am 99% sure this was a saw without the brake from the start. It even says 038 av electronic. With a seperate tag that says super above that. It isn't listed as a quickstop. And operation of the guard,has no feel of being connected to any linkage, but taking the dust cover off will be the way to see...

Unfortunately it will be tomorrow before I get back to the saw. I have just been curious as to the fitting of the parts and the swap is sounding more and more doable.

Most of the time, the "Super" version of a saw was late in the production run and the last iteration before going to an updated model. If it is really a "Super" and not just a decal someone put on there, I'm betting it had a chainbrake from the factory.

Here are a couple pictures.

Attachments

• 9a7b1cac7c6fe25e7f23a092746dfd99.jpeg
    9a7b1cac7c6fe25e7f23a092746dfd99.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 8826286472b0f6b137cdaea2214e9d4d.jpeg
    8826286472b0f6b137cdaea2214e9d4d.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 10
I know that the 028 and I THINK that the 038 also had two different brake mechanisms. On the 028 the earlier mechanism had a brake band which did not fully "wrap around itself" and had a different anchor point in the crankcase (as well as a different brake lever). On the 028 you can't put a later mechanism on the early crankcases.

All the supers should have came with a chain brake. If it's missing you should just be able to swap in used parts from a donor saw.

Other possibility is it's a "frankensaw" with a mix and match of 038 and 038S parts. Could be an early 038 casethat came without a brake

Did you know you could make any 038 a "magnum" 038 just by putting another top cover on it? :D

Back