Stihl 045 Chain Brake Clutch Mod on Original Clutch Cover Possible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeGSU

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all. Got a huge gut punch earlier. I've got a eBay-special Stihl 045 with the original clutch cover on it and no hand guard. I've already ordered a hand guard with goes to the brake assembly in anticipation of finding a brake clutch cover. *vent incoming because I'm pretty hot and bothered by what happened next*

I reached out to the seller who I got the saw from on eBay and low and behold - they had a brake clutch cover in their private collection and were willing to part with it. I guess I put too much faith in assuming that a seller with over 2k sales would have the common sense to not have to be told "hey... don't put this on live auction. Send me an invoice through Paypal for it." Well..... the seller puts the freaking thing on live auction with a buy it now for the price we discussed and sent me a message to the link. I don't get alerts from eBay on my phone and of course I'm at work, so checking eBay during the day isn't something I typically do. But I was expecting an invoice from the seller, so I hopped on and see the seller copy/pasted the link to the auction in a message and sent it to me - zero other communication. I'm immediately think "oh no... oh no... no no no..." I click the link aaaaand it's sold. Because of course a hard-to-find item like this would sell out in less than an hour on eBay. I reached out to the seller about it and they're like "sorry. Can't do anything. I sent you a link as soon as I posted it and you can't say that I didn't try." It was at that point that I felt the need to explain the concept of "paypal invoices" and "best offers" to the seller since they clearly never heard of either.

I literally can't believe this happened in the spectatular failure way that it did.
*end rant*

So the brake clutch cover has an elongated hole that the connecting lever between the cover and the hand brake slides back and forth in. Is it possible to just drill/cut an elongated hole in the original clutch cover and make your own brake clutch cover? I'm aware that there are about 10 or so individual parts that make up this entire brake assembly, but those can all be bought between various saw parts shops online (with the exception being the cover itself). Is there more to this cover than just the elongated hole that the lever rides back and forth in?

Attachments

• Acrobat_J6yQqSrGC1.png
    Acrobat_J6yQqSrGC1.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back